collapse / hide function parameters

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • Could you please make the parameters in a function (in both condition and actions events) collapsable.

When you have a function doing a lot it starts taking up a ridiculous amount of room on the event sheet.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

• Does it really need to go on that platform?

This is a serious quality of life improvement when using the app.

No one is going to vote for this because its not some wiz bang new feature.

• Yeah I wonder about whether to post very minor quality of life ideas to the suggestion website, like the other thread that's ongoing:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/please-return-debug-button-16480

Understandably, some minor suggestions might be way more complicated, like maybe it's a massive pain to make alignment work correctly for function parameters, maybe it has a knock-on effect to other UI code, but yeah I do appreciate these kinds of updates too!

• Ashley

I'm putting it on my wish list for Santa.

• This feature should be optional. I prefer to see all function parameters. Moreover, I would like to see the names of function parameters when functions are called from expressions. Currently it looks like this in the event sheet:

Set n to Functions.getHealth("rabbit", 1, 215)

What I would prefer is:

Set n to Functions.getHealth(Enemy:"rabbit", Armor:1, Damage:215)

• dop2000 yes, I agree, I would like to see parameters above in a tiny pop-up like when you type 'clamp(' it shows the format in parens which allows you to type the rest of it out.

• jobel I believe the popup with function parameters is shown as soon as you type (

What I meant was to see these parameters in the event sheet. Some functions have many parameters and it's difficult to remember what they are when you see an expression like Functions.FunctionName(2,0,1,0.45,"")

• oh I guess you are right, I didn't remember it correctly.

do you mean functions that have return values? that are used in Compare Two Values?

• Does it really need to go on that platform?

This is a serious quality of life improvement when using the app.

No one is going to vote for this because its not some wiz bang new feature.

You don't have to, but it's likely to be more effective than a forum post.

• The suggestion platform is where suggestions go to die.

• But with a nice record on its tombstone for posterity! While forum posts just... disappear. Or turn into flame threads that get locked and then dissapear.

FWIW I've had suggestions on the suggestions site implemented (with no votes besides my own for that matter), and twice that at least responded to, which is more success than I've seen on the forums.

I'm not saying a suggestion there is likely to be implemented, it's just a better alternative than the forum. If someone asked you for a favor and you've clearly said beforehand how to ask for such a thing, are you more likely to help if they ignored what you asked for first?

A good suggestion would be clear and concise, have a obvious benefit, be reasonable to implement and not conflict with existing design decisions. Your suggestion seems to be a good one and fit the bill nicely, so it would be in your own benefit to use the suggestions platform if you cared enough about your idea to want it to happen for a little extra effort.

• yeah I asked for a simple QoL stat on the animation sprite editor, to just display the length in time of the animation, just so you don't have to do the math (frames / fps) which is an extra step - definitely helps when you are trying to fine-tune animations. It would be very simple to implement and seems like an obvious piece of info to add to the editor... but no one voted on it and nothing ever happened with it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • FWIW I've had suggestions on the suggestions site implemented (with no votes besides my own for that matter), and twice that at least responded to, which is more success than I've seen on the forums.

That was in the old suggestion platform I suppose?

The new rules are that only the most upvoted suggestions will be selected every 6 months for review. Although I really hope that Ashley will still consider some suggestions which are very clever and useful, but don't have many votes. (for example, merely because they were posted late in the 6-months period)

• Oh? I only saw that 0 vote ideas wouldn't be considered.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)