Better PNG compression

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
94 Inside buildings views - Isometric view - PNG transparent - 2048x2048
  • Or we could just stick everything into Binary...

• There will be a much bigger difference due to all the display variations out there than the actual compression, so I believe artists are out of luck here. No matter what they do it will look different on different screens.

In the end, what is more important, being able to add twice as many animation frames and having more and smoother animations, or possibly risk some color variations because of compression, that 3 people somewhere may or may not notice.

We do the same with audio in Construct. It is compressed, so why not graphics? Some people care more about audio actually ( I care at least as much ).

Ideally ( if possible ) give people options, from what's currently in Construct to more severe compression.

just compress your graphics on our own, if you want to?

• There will be a much bigger difference due to all the display variations out there than the actual compression, so I believe artists are out of luck here. No matter what they do it will look different on different screens.

There's a difference between the same image pixel data being shown on different displays, and altering the actual image pixel data as lossy compression does.

We do the same with audio in Construct. It is compressed, so why not graphics?

Graphics are compressed too. You can also opt-in to lossy JPEG compression.

Ideally ( if possible ) give people options, from what's currently in Construct to more severe compression.

The more options there are, the more development work we have to do, the more bugs come up in different combinations of settings, the more things have to be maintained over time, more documentation and support questions come up, etc. It's also not clear how lossy PNG compression would work, since PNG itself is a lossless format. Are there different pre-processing algorithms out there? How to they compare on the quality/size trade-off? Are they all appropriate in different circumstances or are alternatives necessary (which further increase the options)?

Also - as ever - we're a small team with limited resources, and already have years of work worth of features filed, so why should we work on this first and not other suggestions?

You can also already apply lossy compression if you want - just recompress the exported spritesheet images after export using your own tools. So you can basically do it already manually.

• Thanks, I will try your method next time

• just compress your graphics on our own, if you want to?

I always do

You can also already apply lossy compression if you want - just recompress the exported spritesheet images after export using your own tools. So you can basically do it already manually.

I believe this is what the original post was referring to. I tried it. Using a 20 MB game as an example, using recompress images in Construct 3 I end up with about 18 MB, using PNGoo separately I get only about 8 MB

That is the difference the original post was talking about. That it would be more convenient to have that kind of compression in Construct 3

Anyway, I always recompress using PNGoo anyway. File size savings are too good not to use it.

One issue though is when building APK, you cannot recompress with a 3rd party tool as it generates a finished APK file so you end up with a needlessly huge file size. Or am I wrong here.

( I have not really playede with APK exports here, so if I am wrong please correct me )

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > just compress your graphics on our own, if you want to?

I always do

> You can also already apply lossy compression if you want - just recompress the exported spritesheet images after export using your own tools. So you can basically do it already manually.

I believe this is what the original post was referring to. I tried it. Using a 20 MB game as an example, using recompress images in Construct 3 I end up with about 18 MB, using PNGoo separately I get only about 8 MB

That is the difference the original post was talking about. That it would be more convenient to have that kind of compression in Construct 3

Anyway, I always recompress using PNGoo anyway. File size savings are too good not to use it.

One issue though is when building APK, you cannot recompress with a 3rd party tool as it generates a finished APK file so you end up with a needlessly huge file size. Or am I wrong here.

( I have not really playede with APK exports here, so if I am wrong please correct me )

I have same doubt.

Suppose if I take my APK file,open with winzip,copy and reduce the size of images using 3rd party service and then keep the new files back (ofcourse same name) then will the resultant APK file will be valid?

• > just compress your graphics on our own, if you want to?

I always do

> You can also already apply lossy compression if you want - just recompress the exported spritesheet images after export using your own tools. So you can basically do it already manually.

And hi,where is PNGoo ? I searched it on the net but I didn't got it.

• You can find it somewhere if you do a search for PNGoo, but since it is basically a GUI for this https://pngquant.org/ and can be downloaded from different sites be careful from where you download it so you don't get some malware with it.

I got mine a long time ago, so don't remember where exactly

Edit: Just noticed there is a link to PNGoo and other GUIs on that page.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)