Has anyone tried adding emojis in event sheet names?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
- This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrolling...
  • This might sound silly, but it helps me organize and spot the event names much faster—in the project window, and as tabs.

There's only so many colors I can use to distinguish. I'd love to use something like this

🔈 Audio

For my event sheet, but I'm afraid it will break somewhere, either in C3 editor, at export, or when pushing to git.

Anyone with experience on this matter?

• Not that I can add any input on issues that could come from this, but I have used emojis on object names before. I was doing some specific manual "convertion" process where I had to change every event/action by hand, like converting a sprite to 9patch. Having a big red dot emoji was helpful to visually see where the sprite was used in expressions and such. Very handy indeed!

• This is a neat idea! You can definitely try it (make a backup copy of the project first). And if you notice any issues, simply remove the emojis.

• I've used this before but only for fun, lol. In serious use cases, it shouldn't cause any issues during runtime and should work like any other character.

My only potential issue for not using this is because of the writing and searching process, and that's all. I search emojis on Google and it takes more time writing emojis since I use a desktop keyboard (even with Windows emoji), which I think is a different case if I used a smartphone's virtual keyboard. Writing 🔫 takes more steps than typing weapon, you see.

Furthermore, since it's a picture that 'could' show differently depending on the device or platform, there's a chance it's a different emoji than what you could've expected, for example: inconsistencies in used emojis. It could lead to an organization issue.

Nevertheless, I see the benefits of this, especially with guides. Emojis shouldn't cause any issues with JavaScript and other languages, hence Construct 3 shouldn't either, even advanced minification shouldn't have any issues with this.

• This is a neat idea! You can definitely try it (make a backup copy of the project first). And if you notice any issues, simply remove the emojis.

Thank you. I could have done it obviously, but I figured to ask on the forums, maybe there are people that attempted such weird thing and could teach me a thing or two (such as, maybe C3 doesn't open the project anymore, maybe the export is broken, can't revert a git branch or something)

It's pretty hard to "simply" remove them in my current project

• I've used this before but only for fun, lol. In serious use cases, it shouldn't cause any issues during runtime and should work like any other character.

My only potential issue for not using this is because of the writing and searching process, and that's all. I search emojis on Google and it takes more time writing emojis since I use a desktop keyboard (even with Windows emoji), which I think is a different case if I used a smartphone's virtual keyboard. Writing 🔫 takes more steps than typing weapon, you see.

Furthermore, since it's a picture that 'could' show differently depending on the device or platform, there's a chance it's a different emoji than what you could've expected, for example: inconsistencies in used emojis. It could lead to an organization issue.

Nevertheless, I see the benefits of this, especially with guides. Emojis shouldn't cause any issues with JavaScript and other languages, hence Construct 3 shouldn't either, even advanced minification shouldn't have any issues with this.

Thank you for the info, especially since I know you're very much aware of how C3 works.

I'm on mac so I press one key and the emoji window appears, really fast. On Windows it's Window Key + dot (.) but unsure how it works with virtual keyboard...

Inconsistencies are a problem indeed since I work on Windows sometimes.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • FWIW the editor should support emoji anywhere (in expressions, object names, etc). If it doesn't, please file an issue. Supporting emojis is more or less a similar technical problem to supporting different languages like Japanese or Greek, so an emoji problem is probably also a language problem. And we want to fully support emojis anyway as it's kinda fun 😀

• Yes, C3 is supported, and it works great! I often manage my objects this way, and it helps me to sort the same type of objects to show them together in debug layout. because the debug layout does not support object grouping.

For example:

I have some form controls, input boxes, buttons, sliders, etc. that I use as Debugger. I will prefix the names with 🎚️ or 🎛️ and they will appear at the top of the list for my debugging. That way I won't see them because they take up too long a list.

• Just FYI - I added emojis to some event sheets, it was working fine for a couple of days. But today was unable to open the project.

So I had to restore an older version from backup.

It was fun while it lasted, but I wouldn't risk using emojis again, at least not in file names (event sheets, layouts, objects etc.)

• Thank you for bringing this to my attention; your report is highly valuable.

Given that I am currently engaged in a six-month project, which can extend indefinitely, I initially had reservations about taking on this task.

I think I'll keep away from attempting this for the foreseeable future and just stick to the current good old fashion text-only tabs.

It would be awesome if we could assign emojis or icons for the event sheet themselves in a way that would not interfere with their names Ashley

• Well, I tried adding emoji to a layout and event sheet name, and the project could save and open just fine. So it seems to be working OK.

If you think there's a bug then we need an issue filed following all the guidelines. Without that information all anyone is doing is guessing and it is common that people mis-attribute the cause of problems.

• I've been using emoji quite a lot in event sheets since this idea came up, and have no issues so far. I only use them on function names.

Just tested a few different ways of using emoji in file names and so far, so good, but I won't commit to doing this in any of my active projects for the foreseeable future. Better to be safe than sorry!

If any issues reliably crop up I'll file a bug report, but for now I'm just gonna keep an eye on things.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)