Simple Zombie Game [Devlog]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • > I like your concept and cant wait to play it on my device. I made a 2D style game thats similar but only in a 2D plane with enemies coming left and right. I also had a shop where you can buy upgraded guns to survive longer. You can try it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ghts&hl=en

>

> Your game looks to have more depth though than mine. Your game is similar to swamp attack but I like your concept better because it makes more sense . I am glad you have gotten time to work on your project

>

Thanks for the comment!

I appreciate the compliment of "more depth" but not sure I would go too far—I'm just in the beginning stages and don't have much yet!

I have an iphone, so there isn't a way to play your game? Haven't heard of swamp attack either.

I'm actually not certain what "depth" my game will go to. I keep thinking of new ideas for progression and such, keep going back and forth in my mind on which to follow. But right now, just trying to get the basics: the core gameplay and the basic art and animations required (art takes me a while!).

Thanks again!

Yes when I said depth I meant your using a 2.5D plane which can allow more action and senerios then a regular 2D plane such as my game. Here is a video of my game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z83nSsoFmFk

If you want to make money with AD revenue you need either a missions type screen or gun shop. I would go for a gun shop because it adds a layer of fun . With the 1st gun in my game you hardly last 10 seconds, but when you get second gun you last a bit longer. Until you get the final gun which makes the game easy enough to last 50 nights and see the ending. If you want I can upload the capx file so you can see how I did the money and shop system. I did it the simplest way I could think of .

• really nice graphics, the animated campfire is excellent

• really nice graphics, the animated campfire is excellent

Thanks!

• If you want to make money with AD revenue you need either a missions type screen or gun shop. I would go for a gun shop because it adds a layer of fun . With the 1st gun in my game you hardly last 10 seconds, but when you get second gun you last a bit longer. Until you get the final gun which makes the game easy enough to last 50 nights and see the ending. If you want I can upload the capx file so you can see how I did the money and shop system. I did it the simplest way I could think of .

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when designing the gameplay and different screens. I think I have an idea of a few things I can do...

• Still have been working on art, update:

Art not done, but think I need to work on some gameplay elements

• It looks really nice, I like it.

• It looks really nice, I like it.

Thanks!

• Overload Test

Now that I'm moving along in the art area I need to focus on evolving the gameplay.

The zombies walk animation I created only looks okay if moving really slow. So I wanted to see how many of these zombies the player could take coming from one direction:

See for yourself here

This doesn't factor in reloading time and only one direction instead of four, but lets just say I will probably have to make some faster moving zombies or other challenges...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Working on a new aiming system. Not finished yet but let me know what you think:

Bigger area to hit the closer the enemy and the slower it gets the longer you aim

• I like this thread, really nice and inspiring approach for the development process combined with educational tips for the ones who are interested. And I love the art! Keep it going.

• I like this thread, really nice and inspiring approach for the development process combined with educational tips for the ones who are interested. And I love the art! Keep it going.

Thanks! I hadn't had much comments on the explanation of the events so wasn't sure anyone appreciated that. Now I will try to do another one soon!

Funny thing is I think most of the events I changed before I am completely redoing due to the change in gameplay and input. But that's game development for ya!

• Very nice thread - I enjoyed reading through this from start to last post Good luck in your development I like where this is going!

• Very nice thread - I enjoyed reading through this from start to last post Good luck in your development I like where this is going!

Thank you! I hope to have some time soon to post some more and work on it further.

• Events for New Targeting System

I wanted to post again showing some of the events for my fellow Construct developers. I apologize as this post may be a bit unorganized, images won't cover all the events pertaining to this topic, and a lot of basic boring events in the images. But I decided to post anyway to throw some stuff out there to anyone interested and feel free to ask me questions if you want to learn more about it. Also, I hope to clean up and organize all of this once it is more finalized, so sometimes explaining it to others can really help clarify it for myself.

So lets get to it:

Pointer Movement

I'll start with how the pointer moves back and forth across the bar as this is probably the most interesting part to other developers, even though it is really a simple lerp(). I'll start with the screenshot of the events:

• So first off it is contained in a deactivated group so it will only run when desired.
    • Arrow has two instance variables: Speed and Position
    • Every tick Arrow's position is set to lerp() where 0 is left border box of the bar and 1 is the right border box.
    • The Instance Variable 'Speed' is added to Instance Variable 'Progress' every tick (with the dt to make framerate independent)
    • Everytime arrow reaches either end (0 or 1) the speed slows down, this is to give the bonus of making it easier the longer you 'aim', and the direction is reversed. Could have just multiplied by -1 but didn't want to risk it running twice and cancelling out so used absolute value. To make positive take the absolute value, to make negative take the absolute value and times by -1 Example: abs(-10)*-1 is still -10

The other events below I won't really speak about as most are straightforward, setting position and visibility, etc. I use a lot of functions so it may be impossible to follow everything.

I will highlight one thing: setting the width of bar1, bar2, and bar 3. These respectively are for head shot, body shot, limb shot/grazing shot. The size they are based on depend on the distance of the enemy which is passed as a parameter to the function. I plan on tweaking the formula later when balancing testing but is basically subtracting the distance and dividing by numbers to found when testing.

Feel free to ask any questions as I know I didn't cover everything. Hope a few enjoy and find it useful

• Slight Change to Aiming Bar Mechanics

• Got rid of "Aim" & "Shoot" button
    • Tap on the quadrant of the screen you are on to fire
    • Tap on a quadrant of the screen you are not on to cancel fire and move

Think this is a great help as your eyes stay closer to your target so you can catch the animation and also gets rid of the tiny tap target (where if you miss it you move across the screen).

Planning on trying to find a better look for the bar. Right now am thinking to make it smaller, outline (maybe in white), and possible changing the arrow to crosshairs. I kind of like the green, even though doesn't make logical sense feels it matches the theme & art.

Also, I need to stop procrastinating on redoing the movement animations! That is the main reason I haven't posted links to any demos or tests—too embarrassed of that movement and try to capture screenshots without him moving, ha.

Note: Will probably reduce the size of the headshot bar—either I'm getting good or it is too big.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)