Maniac Mansion style Point and Click (Version 2)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • Man, I've been thinking of making a game like this for such a long time. My only issue for it is the dialogue system and how I want to have lots of animations and such going on during them. How are you going to implement dialogue into this?

• Man, I've been thinking of making a game like this for such a long time. My only issue for it is the dialogue system and how I want to have lots of animations and such going on during them. How are you going to implement dialogue into this?

On click ai = talk

then (dialogue starts or select from dialogue menu)

On selection = responce

if (response = 0) then disable

if (response = 1) then enable

if selected = 1 then enable response

if selected = 0 then disable response

give each ai dialogue options

if player and ai1 then these options

if player and ai5 then these options

and so on..........

on time or event set focus to selected ai

On focus start dialogue

if time=30 event=bath (dialogue taking a bath)

if doorbell=play.boorbell.wav (pathfind= location of mailbox) event=check mail (dialogue checking the mail)

if ai collision with player event=catch player

set path to location set follow for player or pin to ai

dialogue ( ) on event done set pin to disabled

It would look something like this (this is just markup of what it should do) not actual coding.

• How did you figure out clean path finding up/down stairs? Are you using the path finding behavior? I played with it but haven't come up with a good solution yet. I'm trying to figure something out for A.I. pathfinding in a lemmings style game

I set boundaries so that the image could not cross them if collision = no path

i set on on foot(block pinned to player) = collision with top of stairs then event upstairs

= collision door 1 = event room 1

= collision clock = event clock

and so on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi man, i've see yours demos, and i liked both versions, with moveTo behavior seems the action pretty smooth and fast, but you have to avoid the problem that if there is an obstacle between the player char and his destination, the player just stop at contact with a solid-object. The pathfind behavior - i think - is perfect for a point-and-click implementation, but you have to tweak a little bit with "rotate speed" (this is the primary cause of the lag when you click everywhere and the characters effectively starts moving, it is NOT calculating the path, just rotating in the direction of the player-click!). It's also important to configure the cell size properly, and set the acceleration and deceleration to high values to reach the immediate start of end of the movement (guybrush not have acceleration or deceleration in his walkcycle at all, for example). Take a look of my attempt, it's done with path find behavior:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... dv01-26975

Ciao!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)