[Request] BulletML

0 favourites
  • Once again, I think you're suffering from a misconception of what a plugin would really do for you as well as what bulletXML really is. It is a format, not a language.

I think you expect a "feed the plugin a bulletXML sheet and it will spit bullet patterns on the screen".

And in that you are wrong. And the stuff you keep linking just displays that.

A plugin would maybe give you specific events and triggers but you still would have to interface those in the event sheet/project objects/behaviors like Newt mentioned in his previous answer.

So it kinda does defeat the purpose of an external plugin anyway. You could not just have a "fits all cases" plugin.

You can try to make me look as the bad guy, but the way you've posted all over this thread blaming internet forums rather than actually trying to understand the answers given don't really stand.

And if you were SO interested in "the common good" you wouldn't be "threatening" of "keeping it to yourself".

Anyway good luck with your project.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Once again, I think you're suffering from a misconception of what a plugin would really do for you as well as what bulletXML really is. It is a format, not a language.

I think you expect a "feed the plugin a bulletXML sheet and it will spit bullet patterns on the screen".

And in that you are wrong. And the stuff you keep linking just displays that.

It's BulletML, not BulletXML, and I don't believe that for a second. So maybe you're right. Maybe I really don't understand.

I have given up on this thread, but just for fun, I'll try and sum this up from my perspective:

• BulletML is, by definition, a markup language.
    • "It can also be done with just events" is not a viable argument. There is a large library of well-known patterns written in BulletML on the internet. The point is to make these available for use in Construct 2.
    • I see no reason why it would be impossible to have a plugin read a pattern file and execute it. E.g. the Unity wrapper does just that.
    • If this is a bad idea, explain this Construct Classic plugin, or the Unity stuff.
    • It can obviously be done in JavaScript, as evidenced by the bulletml.js demos. C2 is also JS-based. The C2 engine and modern browsers can handle hundreds of objects without breaking a sweat. (Though some of the more advanced patterns need to handle thousands of on-screen bullets, which would require optimization out of scope of a plugin.)
    • Maybe we are just facing a terminology problem and this could be a custom behavior instead of a plugin?

And if you were SO interested in "the common good" you wouldn't be "threatening" of "keeping it to yourself".

I'm not. I said this could be done in a way that benefits everyone, with the help of a capable programmer.

Anyway good luck with your project.

There is no project. Just a guy with an idea who was naive enough to ask for help.

• To start the CC plug used a vertex, the smallest thing you can make graphically. Basically it was like a particle, a single point that only had the restrictions of the gpu, rather than what we have of canvas2d.

Secondly, to produce a plug would require someone to figure out how to convert those xml calls into actual code that C2 can use, its not "oh hey just add this file".

Thirdly if all you wanted was access to some premade patterns you could convert those xml files to json, https://www.google.com/#q=xml+to+json and figure out how to replicate those calls in events.

C2 uses json, because its a file type all the platforms C2 works on, works on.

• to produce a plug would require someone to figure out how to convert those xml calls into actual code that C2 can use, its not "oh hey just add this file".

I know. I thought that was clear from the beginning.

if all you wanted was access to some premade patterns you could convert those xml files to json, https://www.google.com/#q=xml+to+json and figure out how to replicate those calls in events.

C2 uses json, because its a file type all the platforms C2 works on, works on.

Not all I wanted of course, 'twas just another argument. Surely a plugin could also convert-to-json at project export to circumvent the xml platform restrictions? But thanks, this was the first answer that was actually helpful.

• Maybe I really don't understand.

You don't and here's why :

"It can also be done with just events" is not a viable argument. There is a large library of well-known patterns written in BulletML on the internet. The point is to make these available for use in Construct 2.

It's a perfectly viable argument. I'm not saying to replace the xml file with events but the actual "translation" of those files which is what a plugin supposedly would do. And that's where you are missing the point of ALL my answers so far !

I see no reason why it would be impossible to have a plugin read a pattern file and execute it. E.g. the Unity wrapper does just that.

Helicopter vs car.

Unity is not C2, it's not designed and built the same way.

So what works in one does not necessary works in the other as well.

And see the next answer for further reasons...

It can obviously be done in JavaScript, as evidenced by the bulletml.js demos. C2 is also JS-based. The C2 engine and modern browsers can handle hundreds of objects without breaking a sweat. (Though some of the more advanced patterns need to handle thousands of on-screen bullets, which would require optimization out of scope of a plugin.)

A C2 plugin still relies on the objects in a C2 project. Your plugin won't magically spawn thousands of sprite objects from the void. Especially if you want after to handle their collisions or keep some handling on those objects.

So even if C2 plugins are indeed written in JavaScript, it's not because there is some JS SDK of some feature that it can necessary be turned into a C2 plugin.

And that's why the reading/translating of the xml file should rather be done in events, as mentioned already times and times again in Newt's and my posts.

So strangely enough, a few posts ago when I mentioned you had no clue/did not understand what you were asking, seems I was right. And all along I took the time to answer your questions and try to help/educate you while all you were doing was insulting me and this community, rambling about things you did not get in the first place.

I'm done as well. Enough time lost, enough energy spent.

• Right.

I wish I'd never started this thread and I'm genuinely sorry for wasting your time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)