How do I remove movement stutter?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • Hello again.

So I'm making a platform game, everything is going well, but, whenever I jump while standing and land on the ground, the character switches between animation / just stutters until I move him left or right. This also happens when I land on the edge of a platform.

So, what's the problem?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Are you using the platform behavior for your player? If not, your player may be having an issue with frame rate dependence, which can cause odd stuttering.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/67/del ... dependence

If you could post the capx I may be able to help

• Yeah, here's the link: mediafire.com

• the collision points of the animation ID FALL at the bottom weren't exactly at 26, I set them exactly and the stutter is gone, I still recommand to use a dummy rectangle object for the collisions and to pin the player animations on it to prevent those kind of issues, still searching for the stutter on the edge

EDIT: I think it, once again, has to do with collisions, ID FALL is a little larger to the left, so when the player is not on the floor, it trigger the falling animation, but then the hitbox is larger, so it triggers back on the floor, and so on, again, this kind of issues could be avoided using a rectangular, invisible, fixed size object that has the behavior platform and pinning the player sprite animations on it.

• ....this kind of issues could be avoided using a rectangular, invisible, fixed size object that has the behavior platform and pinning the player sprite animations on it.

...as recommended on Page 4 of Ashley's own How to make a Platform game tutorial:

[quote:3pt05ubd]The Platform behavior can take care of the complexities of platform movement for us. However, there's one important tip for using it: the behavior should be applied to an invisible rectangle object, and the player positioned on top. The Platform behavior works much better if the object with the behavior doesn't animate, since changing animation frame can leave the object partly sticking in to a wall which can confuse the Platform behavior. Also, it avoids silly collision situations like your player hanging off a ledge by their nose or something they're holding.

• Thanks zenox, now it works.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)