How do I create Troddlers minion movement?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • sizcoz Could you upload your c3 demo so i could look at it? i have bacis account to preview and if its 18 lines i think that will work...?

Ok

MinerMoles(c3p)

• Here is my new version with just 6 events:

dropbox.com/s/8jbp3p7zlra5355/WalkAroundWalls2.capx

It works for multiple instances moving at high speed (up to 300-350), doesn't require any additional sprites or waypoints.

• Here is my new version with just 6 events:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jbp3p7zlra5355/WalkAroundWalls2.capx?dl=0

It works for multiple instances moving at high speed (up to 300-350), doesn't require any additional sprites or waypoints.

Very nice and concise example, yours seems to have problems at 325 Bullet speed, my example drops out at 560 Bullet speed, is this just the difference between C2 & C3 ?, I can't see any other reason than that as your example is only 6 events & 20 objects, and my example is 18 events and 69 objects, on the same laptop, yet it can do 235 more speed.

EDIT, I loaded it up in C3, with worker enabled, and it still only got to 325 Bullet speed.

On a side note, in both examples, when running if you minimise the window, then start resizing it, they both have problems, to be safe you need to half the max speed.

Would be nice to see if someone can make an example that's more stable at higher speeds, maybe with a different behaviour other than Bullet.

• sizcoz My example can work on higher speeds in C3 with bullet stepping. (or if you enlarge sprites)

It's the matter of how big are the sprites, and how many pixels the enemy is moving on every tick. If it travels the distance bigger than its own width in one tick, it can no longer detect walls and corners correctly.

Basically, it's the same issue as when a very fast moving bullet can sometimes go through solid walls, instead of bouncing.

• sizcoz My example can work on higher speeds in C3 with bullet stepping. (or if you enlarge sprites)

It's the matter of how big are the sprites, and how many pixels the enemy is moving on every tick. If it travels the distance bigger than its own width in one tick, it can no longer detect walls and corners correctly.

Basically, it's the same issue as when a very fast moving bullet can sometimes go through solid walls, instead of bouncing.

I see

It would be nice to get faster stable speeds if possible, with this sort of example, I think a stable 600 speed would be more than enough for most games of this kind.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • sizcoz

here is a different approach I worked on yesterday for a while - until I saw how awesome yours was :)

so, it is only a proof of concept - based loosely on examples ROJOhound made years ago to have objects follow a path. The code is very quick and dirty.

it is frame-rate dependant, doesn't use bullet behavior, objects can only travel one direction around the path, the path would have to be regenerated after any changes to any blocks... right now it generates the path at the start of layout.

but you can go as fast as you want! and once the path is generated, there is very little cpu usage - each object just needs to know how much farther it is until the next path node, if it over-shoots it, it backs up to the target node and then heads to the next one.

https://www.rieperts.com/games/forum/Minions.capx

• AllanR

Nice, I like the fact there are no collision checks, and no Behaviours used.

• sizcoz today i successfully implement your demo in my project and it works great with one problem, when minions are falling and they hit ground in between two ground blocks they fall through, if they fall on center or so everything is ok, and in your demo you have scaled boxes for ground and walls so there is hard to reproduce that. I have generated border and i left my minions to fall from top of the level and few of them always fall through (those that fall between two tiles). Easy way to test this if you put one block and let few minions walk on him and then destroy it...

EDIT: Also, 1200 speed was not a problem (which is really fast) and it can be used to fast forward game.

AllanR since your demo is in newer version i wasn't able to open it today, but i will update construct and try i out.

Once again, you guys are awesome!

EDIT: you can see today demo here as.dings.solutions/troddlers also there is a plus nad minus button for speed control (Start speed: 400, plus button increase by 50, minus decrease for 50).

• Aetrix

I set the falling minions to 3 times the speed, last event (MoleSpeed*3) this will be too much if it goes beyond 100 speed, so I suggest just changing this to (MoleSpeed+25) or something like that.

Glad you have found it of some use.

As been said before, Bullet Behaviour has collision detection limitations above certain speeds.

• I ditched Bullet behavior from my example and enemies can now move at crazy fast speeds!

dropbox.com/s/8jbp3p7zlra5355/WalkAroundWalls2.capx

• I ditched Bullet behavior from my example and enemies can now move at crazy fast speeds!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jbp3p7zlra5355/WalkAroundWalls2.capx?dl=0

dop2000

Now that's what I call a Result !

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)