How do I create a circular cooldown display?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • edit:

Here's a capx similar to the timer in your picture ; It uses blend modes, hope it helps.

Demo

Download (new)

• Bl4ckSh33p

I'm not sure why you want to avoid the canvas plugin? It's THE solution for things like this, and quite easy to implement.

• tulamide : for a long term game, third party plugins represent a risk/reward situation:

-More functionnalities, but also they can break one day due to some factors (new update of C2, the plugin's creator not updating anymore for a variety of reasons), whereas vanilla C2 tends to be a less risky way (since the stable versions are normally pretty well done), and since you do the code with vanilla C2 (aka: rely less on third party solutions), if something does not work, it is more likely your own fault.

• Exactly what Aphrodite said.

I try to use no addons/plugins if possible to be "safe" if a new update breaks it or the author stops developing/supporting it.

• Aphrodite

Bl4ckSh33p

I understand the logic behind the thoughts and respect your stand. And I don't want to derail this thread. But still: Isn't that against the core system of C2? The extendability by plugins is a feature, isn't it? Even C2 itself is based on plugins (I understand that you think they are always safe, while 3rd party may not). Wouldn't it make your life much easier on a long term project, when instead of constantly updating C2 with the risk of breaking something (yes, that can very well happen with C2's own elements, too), you'd stick to one version of C2, with one version of all 3rd party plugins?

Again, this isn't quite the right place to discuss it. So maybe just take it as an suggestion for an easier development process - or just ignore it

• Aphrodite

Bl4ckSh33p

I understand the logic behind the thoughts and respect your stand. And I don't want to derail this thread. But still: Isn't that against the core system of C2? The extendability by plugins is a feature, isn't it? Even C2 itself is based on plugins (I understand that you think they are always safe, while 3rd party may not). Wouldn't it make your life much easier on a long term project, when instead of constantly updating C2 with the risk of breaking something (yes, that can very well happen with C2's own elements, too), you'd stick to one version of C2, with one version of all 3rd party plugins?

Again, this isn't quite the right place to discuss it. So maybe just take it as an suggestion for an easier development process - or just ignore it

I agree, but I think there should be also a fallback method, as I've said, the canvas is more adapted to this use, but knowing another way around (or at least that it can be done) is good to know in case of plugin discontinuity for long term project. I'm more a "use plugins when they can simplify your life, but also know if you could do it without and how just in case".

Again, the only plugin I actually used for myself were the clay.io plugin (I don't use it anymore though), the Paster plugin (I prefer it to the canvas plugin, for better compatibility with WebGL, and it is easier to use IMO), and the FGL plugin (only when I want to use FGL), everything else is done vanilla C2 (I've not seen any plugin that could make my life easier other than those ones)

• Aphrodite

Great solution!

I had used canvas to draw the fan shaped. It is the easiest solution, but the every tick drawing in cocoonJS iOS would drop the performance (the same as changing context of text object).

• Aphrodite

Great solution!

I had used canvas to draw the fan shaped. It is the easiest solution, but the every tick drawing in cocoonJS iOS would drop the performance (the same as changing context of text object).

My method requires a layer to force it's own texture, and uses blends mode, while I know PC will have no problem at all, I never tried on iOS itself, if you need a little help understanding something I had done, go aheahd and ask ^-^ (I am beginning to love blend modes)

• Had another go at this today, here's how i'd do it without blendmodes. Could maybe do ovals or 3d timers if you play with the values

• Hi. Do you still have your example Aphrodite and Noncentz705 ? The link above is broken.

Or does anyone have a example for the effect in my last post on page 1?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Bl4ckSh33p I have!

I put it on the construct discord just in case dropbox does it again, but I'll provide both links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vh9eble6azg2s ... .capx?dl=0

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ndbar.capx

Hope it'll work well for you.

IIRC the black circular sprite needs to be in destination out blend mode for it to magically work.

• Thank you very much.

As another workaround I found a preloader sprite anim (circle filling up) just showing as an animated sprite. I want to use it for "Hold button for x Sec to approve".

But I will need the other examples for other elements of my games.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)