How do I check for updates?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Hi.

Does anyone know what's the easiest way to check what version of the game the player is playing and give them a message if there's a new version of the game available?

For example on the title screen the game checks online for the latest version number available and if it's higher than the version of the game show update message.

So everytime I put a new version of the game on desura and steam I also update the online version number which the game checks on startup.

Any ideas on a simple solution of doing this?

Thank you in advance

• Hi,

You can compare the value of your Projectversion by setting a variable to 'projectversion'. Then send this to your Server (via AJAX) on the start of the layout and compare this value with the latest version your game is running on.

Then you can either inform your player about a new version or not

Regards

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • AndreasR Ok, thank you. It's the AJAX part that I'm not sure about. How to put it on my server and how I make it readable for the game. Haven't tried to do this type of stuff before. So I'll have to look more into it and see how it works. Is it complicated?

• AndreasR Ok, thank you. It's the AJAX part that I'm not sure about. How to put it on my server and how I make it readable for the game. Haven't tried to do this type of stuff before. So I'll have to look more into it and see how it works. Is it complicated?

Well, this depends on your ability and knowledge of AJAX and PHP.

I'm not a webdeveloper, so I have no clue about that stuff. I always contact freelancers to do such jobs.

Basically you just need to send this code via AJAX to your server (where the php file is located processing the information).

URLEncode("data[]") & "=" & URLEncode(str(projectversion))[/code:3698jynl]

The problem will be the php file. I'm not a webdeveloper. But I guess some talented webdevelopers are among us here in the forum
  • AndreasR Thank you! I'll try it out and see if I can get it to work

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)