What is the best way to test a game in a mobile device?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Hi guys! Well, I'd like to share a big frustration of mine.

I frequently find myself struggling against getting my games working properly on mobile browsers.

Before exporting my project to HTML 5, I make sure that the following list is properly checked:

I add touch functions properly The fullscreen option is set to Letterbox integer scale Orientation is always locked on its native orientation

Then I host the game folder on my Google Drive account. Tests on my notebook are ok, now time to test on mobile devices:

Testing in my Nokia Lumia 710 Signed as (WP) and my girfriend's Samsung Galaxy Y: Signed as (SG)

(WP)(SG)The game window doesn't stretch to fit the screen

(WP) Several images suddenly stop loading (i.e a screen renders properly, but in a second time, there are elements missing)

(SG) Touch doesn't work

(WP)(SG) Orientation is not locked, so:

(WP)(SG) Gamma Orientation doesn't work

I always face this kind of problem when I'll test my games on mobile devices. So I came here asking advice from you guys.

What would be the best way to test games in mobile devices? How do you guys usually do?

Cheers!

• pcfernandesjr, I test at multiple levels.

First, I get the basics of everything done and I test in a similar browser as the device because I feel that is the quickest and easiest to do. I will manually resize the browser window so that it is in the same size and aspect ratio as the device.

Then, once I'm sure there are no bugs in any browser aspect size and ratio, I quickly do an export to the platform of choice (typically Win8 and WP for me) so I can get a good feel for the final results. A lot of times I just use the Visual Studio emulators, but running on the actual devices is best.

The export+opening in Visual Studios shouldn't take you more than a minute to do. To speed that process up you can skip the "PNG recompression" part of the export process by selecting None, as opposed to Standard.

Btw, this link could help you speed up the process too if you just want to test the regular browsers on different devices: How-to-preview-on-a-local-network

• You can use the emulation Tool XDK from Intel, it will let you test it on a lot of different phones. Its free if i remember correct, and you can export your project directly from C2, just choose the INTEL AGI.

However its some time since i played with it. But from what i remembered it was really cool

You can find it here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/tools

• danialgoodwin How do you handle this: (WP)(SG)The game window doesn't stretch to fit the screen?

I seem to run into the same issue on _all_ mobile devices (not tablets though).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ainxty, in the project properties (found by clicking the project title in the projects bar) make sure you have a "Fullscreen is Browser" option picked that is "Scale outer" or "Scale inner". The default "Letterbox scale" will show black bars on the edges.

• Thanks! I was using Letterbox integer scale and it wasn't working in mobile browsers at all, but just Letterbox scale works alright. Both of the Scales aren't quite good as one cuts stuff off and the other has a pretty sizable white area on the right side (where you can see the sprites escaping and destroying themselves/wrapping).

• hi Ainxty,

I follow the procedure on scirra for the android app but my builed was not run using intelxdk crosswalk way.Can you told me the steps to create the android app apk using construct 2,intel xdk in details.i am stuck beacuse of this issue.

• Personnally, I recommend trying on the devices themselves if possible (preview over wifi), export frequently to also try the exported version on the mobile (through a browser personnally).

I'm gonna copy paste a skype post I've made:

"-there is not only one resolution, nor aspect ratio, so I do the following

choose a basic aspect ratio, one you like to work with, I personnaly like 4:3, and also a resolution that correspond (I like 800x600)

Enter it in the "window size" propriety in C2

Right now your game is set at a resolution, however, it won't appear fullscreen on all devices, to do so, you can:

Set fullscreen in browser: Scale inner or Scale outer (scale outer will display more, scale iner will display less)

Use the system expression ViewportLeft(Layer), ViewportRight(Layer), ViewportTop(Layer), ViewportBottom(Layer) to place the elements of the HUD and others, these expression calculates the positions of the left, right, top and bottom border of the screen

use the browser object to detect if the user is on portrait or landscape"

Also there is ot a standard for locking screen inside browser I think, so you cannot be sure it will be locked, however you can still detect the current positio of the device

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)