WebGL

0 favourites
  • So having WebGL as an Option, building two versions (one with WebGL and one without), and then merging those to use the same resources - Does anyone think this is a good idea or practice to implement? If not, why?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley - What about a way that we could switch rendering modes at runtime via events? That way we could do a check for if the frame rate is really low with web GL, then we could switch to canvas 2D instead. Is that sort of thing possible, or does it have to be done at the start when the page loads?

• Doverseer, Arima: WebGL is always faster when hardware-accelerated, so I think the only case you'd get better performance is when Chrome is using SwiftShader and you switch to Canvas 2D.

In the next release I've added some code to try to detect SwiftShader and fall back to canvas2D if it's being used. This should hopefully resolve the problem, so there should be no need at all to build two versions of your project. However, since Chrome doesn't specifically reveal if SwiftShader is being used, I had to add some hacky detection based on OpenGL detections. It may have false positives and disable WebGL on hardware-accelerated systems, but then they will almost certainly have a hardware-accelerated canvas 2D, so performance will still be good. That's a better result than having some users get totally unusable performance, so we can live with that. Wait for the next build and let me know how things go.

• Kyatric

Yeah, i know that's pure speculation, and i didn't say that it is not.

But don't belive such things can happen is really naiveness.

I know a ton of corporations that "destroyed" others for preventing competition, there are many diseases or other genetic problems (like baldness) that already have a cure or a better treatment but are not revealed because the actual treatment is more profitable and many other things that happen because corporation stupidity.

I assume that i really don't know who can Adobe or any other company delay HTML5 dev, but for me it's really strange the number of problems and the slow development of this technology.

And stay clear that it is my opnion!

Edit:

"Click the star to the left of the title "Issue 126345:     SwiftShader causes unplayable performance for 2D HTML5 games"

Done!

• All involved: please star this issue I submitted for Chrome to show your interest:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=126345

Click the star to the left of the title "Issue 126345:     SwiftShader causes unplayable performance for 2D HTML5 games".

• Starred.

• Ashley Thank you for submitting this issue with Chrome. I just hope enough people star it to get there attention.

Kyatric I apologize if I offended you with my earlier posts. If I did it was not my intention to offend anyone here. I'm not poor I have a job it just doesn't pay very well. I was planning on buying a new PC but I have a couple family members that recently lost there jobs, and can't find a job right now because of the bad economy where I live so they depend on me to survive. My PC is only 2 years old, and it came with games installed on it. It can also run games like World of Warcraft without any problems so I hope you can understand my frustration here.

It seems that the last two threads I posted in ended up with people getting mad at you.

Doverseer Thank you for bringing up this subject, it is something that really needs to be fixed.

• It seems that the last two threads I posted in ended up with people getting mad at you.

Haha. That's alright, I'm used to it. Not everybody can respect opinions.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)