Update on Cordova apps on iOS 10

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Creepy Sprite Font suitable font for your Dark/Horror/Halloween games.
  • Sorry to bump an older thread. I'm currently experiencing this problem of getting a black screen and the game failing to start. But reports are that its happening with iOS 9, while iOS 10 is ok.

My game runs fine on my test device which is running iOS 10, but some players have reported the black screen issue and they all seem to be using iOS 9. Discussion on TouchArcade where players are discussing this problem (end of page 1 and onto page2).

Im using the latest XDK (3759) and C2 beta 241, but I noticed that the Cordova WKWebView Engine plugin is version 1.0.3, not the latest 1.1.0. Ill try updating this and making a new build. Are there any other possibilities for what could be causing a black screen on devices running iOS 9 that I should also look at?

hope you dont mind me tagging you. You seemed to have researched this pretty thoroughly back in Oct.. Can I ask your opinion?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Artpunk

My opinion on this is that WKWebView was changed in iOS10 by Apple (loading of assets, audio system), and changes were made with C2's implementation of WKWebView to be compatible. This has adverse effects, particularly being broken on iOS8 (thank god so few ppl still use this) and has potential issues with iOS9.

What you should have tested though is the latest Cordova WKWebView plugin in XDK. See if that helps first since 1.0.3 is ancient and there have been lots of fixes since.

Also if you've minified during C2 export, don't do it.

I read that thread on TA, seems it's fixed with your recent update! Was it by using a more recent plugin?

ps. Just noticed it was 3 days ago, so that's pretty quick that Apple release updates. It used to take 10-14 days for updates to go past reviews, so launching a game with bugs on iOS = DEAD.

• Hi thanks for the response.

...What you should have tested though is the latest Cordova WKWebView plugin in XDK. See if that helps first since 1.0.3 is ancient and there have been lots of fixes since.

Yes, while Ive always made sure to keep XDK and C2 updated I didnt realise I needed to update XDK plugins as well.. It was your posts on page 2 of this thread that woke me up to that. I had been using Cordova WKWebView Engine 1.0.3. Ive since made a build with v 1.1.0 of the plugin. Its been 'Internally Tested' by a few different people on versions iOS 9 and 10 (thanks to the guys who from the forum who helped me out with that) and its currently still waiting for review and release in iTunesConnect.

I dont use minify when I export as Ive read previously that it can cause problems, so thats not an issue.

...I read that thread on TA, seems it's fixed with your recent update! Was it by using a more recent plugin?

Ive followed the discussion on TA as well. Its strange but, the update they installed (Cluckles v1.1.3) which seems to have helped, has no fixes aimed at the blackscreen issue and the build is still using WKWebView Engine 1.0.3 That update of my game was already in review on iTunesConnect when I realised there was a black screen issue that needed addressing.

Cluckles v1.1.3 just had a bunch of minor fixes to do with gameplay mechanics, fixing urls, fixing bugs with ad delivery. Nothing I could see that would fix the problem with start up. So tbh its just luck that it seemed to help the blackscreen issue in some (all?) cases

The build that is currently on iTunesConnect waiting for review (Cluckles v1.1.4) has Cordova WKWebView Engine updated to 1.1.0. And the testing Ive been able bring to bear hasn't given a single blackscreen (but its only about 7-8 devices that its been tested on)... I guess ill find out if its truly fixed once the build is released into the wild.

...ps. Just noticed it was 3 days ago, so that's pretty quick that Apple release updates. It used to take 10-14 days for updates to go past reviews, so launching a game with bugs on iOS = DEAD.

My experience so far has been that Apple takes about 4-5 business days to review an update.

I think Ive been lucky that there are a lot more Apple devices that are running the game without a hitch, than devices giving a black screen. So the guys who can actually play the game are leaving good reviews and outnumbering the guys who are leaving 1 star due to frustrations with black screens.. Hopefully after Cluckles v1.1.4 is released the blackscreen issue will cease and there'll be no more 1stars :'(

Over in Android land its much more positive. Everyone's mostly happy there... just less of them at this point.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)