System Requirements for Steam?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Hello,

I'm working on a game to sell on Steam. Setting up the Steam page you are required to list minimum/recommended system requirements for Windows and MacOS (and Linux too if uploading).

Has anyone uploaded to Steam before? I don't use any external plugins so I'd figure that no matter what you do inside Construct the export has the same system requirements?

Thought I'd ask here before trying to do testing myself.

Thanks,

Lou Bagel

(game is called Dave-Man)

• Exact requirements will vary depending on what happens in your game, e.g. a mulitplayer game with a lot physics will need a better machine than a pong-like game, but generally most Contruct games should run well enough on any modern computer.

For my platformer games, I just picked system specs I knew it could definitely run on

Windows

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Core i3 Processor or equivalent

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 512MB RAM and Webgl enabled

Storage: 500 MB available space

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor or equivalent

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 4096MB RAM and Webgl enabled

Storage: 1 GB available space

SteamOS + Linux

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Core i3 Processor or equivalent

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 512MB RAM and Webgl enabled

Storage: 500 MB available space

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor or equivalent

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 4096MB RAM and Webgl enabled

Storage: 1 GB available space

• Thank you OddConfection

I may end up starting with what you have listed here and then tweaking upon user testing. Do you mind linking your game? That way I can compare..but also curious.

• Do you mind linking your game? That way I can compare..but also curious.

You can find my 3 Consturct 2 games on Steam here: store.steampowered.com/developer/badlogicstudios

The system specs came from Steampunk Graveyard, since the others only have Windows versions.

• The recommended specs for Windows are overkill. Keep in mind that information like that can result in customers thinking, that their setup isn't good enough for smooth gameplay (won't purchase).

As already mentioned, the specs will vary but this is what I'd go for on Windows systems:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Dual Core (2.0 GHZ)

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 512MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Storage: 900 MB available space

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Quad Core (3.0 GHZ)

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with 1024MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 11+

Storage: 900 MB available space

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks TheRealDannyyy

Good point on not listing them too high and having people not purchase. But also don't want to list too low and have buyers have a bad experience (negative reviews, refunds, etc).

I've also purchased games that have too high specs for my current computer and just gave them a try to see if it is still playable at all. A lot of the times it is completely playable just a few issues, for example choppy at cut scenes, but didn't bother me because I had worse expectations going in.

• Good point on not listing them too high and having people not purchase. But also don't want to list too low and have buyers have a bad experience (negative reviews, refunds, etc).

A chance of that happening is very unlikely. You'd rather get reports/bad reviews by users with laptops having issues or content creators not being able to record or stream gameplay.

I also recommend checking out the Steam hardware survey, pretty useful.

• Hi, I've never posted on Steam.

To publish a game, do I have to create a normal user account or is there another type of developer account?

• Hi, I've never posted on Steam.

To publish a game, do I have to create a normal user account or is there another type of developer account?

You need to sign up for a regular account first, then sign up as a partner with that.

partner.steamgames.com

• The recommended specs for Windows are overkill. Keep in mind that information like that can result in customers thinking, that their setup isn't good enough for smooth gameplay (won't purchase).

Good point, I hadn't thought of it in those terms, although looking at the hardware survey two thirds would probably still meet it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)