No more sound in Chrome

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best soundtracks for any game. High quality and engaging assets.
  • That's a new chromium "feature".

Chromium bug

Corresponding blog post by Ashley

Edit: Oops, I didn't see that there are two pages in this thread, only read the second one. I guess this has already been clarified.

• Is this fixed in Construct 3 R98 (last stable)?

Because.. if I start my code within Construct and try to play a sound (or mutliple sounds) after initialization of my layout, nothing happens.. I need to press a key (or input in general) first.. then all sounds start playing.

UPDATE: Never mind.. R100 is the last stable... my offline version was still R98, so it couldn't work out..

• Because.. if I start my code within Construct and try to play a sound (or mutliple sounds) after initialization of my layout, nothing happens.. I need to press a key (or input in general) first.. then all sounds start playing.

That is the fix. Chrome doesn't let pages autoplay without interaction any more. Previously you might not have heard any audio at all.

FWIW Google just announced that they will revert the autoplay change... and then reinstate it in October. This is totally bananas because it will just repeat the same problem, but later. Still, you have more time to re-publish content now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • FWIW Google just announced that they will revert the autoplay change... and then reinstate it in October. This is totally bananas because it will just repeat the same problem, but later. Still, you have more time to re-publish content now.

So will the new standard be like Browser>RequestFullscreen? (requiring a user interaction). So we should always have "CLICK TO START" at the beginning of our games? Will NWjs eventually implement this as well?

• It's the same idea, yes - you need a user input event to unmute audio. However the difference is Construct automatically unmutes audio for you at the first opportunity. So you might not need a "click to start" preloader, unless you want to avoid sounds being cut off prior to the first input.

NW.js won't ever implement this - they've already turned off user input requirements, e.g. you can request fullscreen at any time in NW.js, whereas the browser requires an input event.

• It's the same idea, yes - you need a user input event to unmute audio. However the difference is Construct automatically unmutes audio for you at the first opportunity. So you might not need a "click to start" preloader, unless you want to avoid sounds being cut off prior to the first input.

NW.js won't ever implement this - they've already turned off user input requirements, e.g. you can request fullscreen at any time in NW.js, whereas the browser requires an input event.

good to know, thanks!

• Hello,

I know its been a while since the last reply, but I'm facing the same problem and can't get it work.

No sound is played even if I press keys or mouse click the screen.

I play a sound when the mouse is over buttons, and even and the start of my second layout after home page.

Do I have to preload sounds or something like that?

I use the last estable version of Construct 2

Thanks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)