Scirra Sales ?

0 favourites
  • Kyatric , I can't remember a 2 years old post :P

Also , it may have been removed when the new website came in

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am all for feeding developers.

DevComponents develop DotNetBar - a whole bunch of tools for use in building applications using VS - excellent tool VERY competitively priced.

Their competitors are in the $1000's price range, but DNB is in the $100's.

It's a yearly subscription that costs $264 for single licence when you first buy (299 with source code), and then somewhere around $100 off to renew your subscription. The great thing with their pricing model is that even if you don't renew for many years you still get the discount when you decide to renew.

Like Scirra, they are constantly releasing updates and bug fixes (usually every Friday), they have a very active forum, and they always fix bugs as soon as possible.

Scirra could use a similar model and I would be more than happy to support it. Maybe have a similar system that they have now, free version, and personal and business licence priced accordingly.

But always stay competitively price - GM and the like are definitely over priced.

Just think of Adobe - do you like them, only want a relatively few well funded customers, or would you rather have the whole creative community using your tools.

• I am all for feeding developers.

DevComponents develop DotNetBar - a whole bunch of tools for use in building applications using VS - excellent tool VERY competitively priced.

Their competitors are in the $1000's price range, but DNB is in the $100's.

It's a yearly subscription that costs $264 for single licence when you first buy (299 with source code), and then somewhere around $100 off to renew your subscription. The great thing with their pricing model is that even if you don't renew for many years you still get the discount when you decide to renew.

Like Scirra, they are constantly releasing updates and bug fixes (usually every Friday), they have a very active forum, and they always fix bugs as soon as possible.

Scirra could use a similar model and I would be more than happy to support it. Maybe have a similar system that they have now, free version, and personal and business licence priced accordingly.

But always stay competitively price - GM and the like are definitely over priced.

Just think of Adobe - do you like them, only want a relatively few well funded customers, or would you rather have the whole creative community using your tools.

You mentioned adobe, I love the new cloud subscription model. It's a little more in the long long run, but it also is great because it provides me with "free" updates.

• If nobody likes monthly/yearly payment, what do you think about paying for updates ?

Like: Every new release 2$ or something like that, so it's your decision if you want to pay (and get something for it) or not.

• why change what is going on?

when did we suddenly feel needed a change?

They update more frequently than many others.

If a breaking change occurs (other than recent alt issue) they do a x.x beta.

And were doing all that with the current model they've raised the one time price from what I got it at but it is still great for value but part of the value is the fact of what has been listed above in this and other posts for C2

They have expanded to education with subscription, yes.

Keep it for education.

• I would recommend keeping the old model and start building paid things around it. Stuff like level editor for Construct 2, plugin dev tools, 24/7 phone support, e-mail support, mobile publishing service(help users to publish their apps via skype, chatting tools or just do everything on behalf of the developers).

Right now Construct 2 is attracting young people who has this "realistic" dream of creating MMOG games and earning millions with them and flooding the forum with questions around those projects, so advanced user forum subscription would be great for companies or just the ones owning the Business Edition.

It's obvious that Scirra needs more people to work with Construct 2. And as always with all companies there's the risk that the key person get's hit by a car and dies. Then there should be someone who knows the code and is able to continue and assist other programmers(just a typical Senior/Junior programmer setting).

• Well let's refocus the topic.

Atm, Scirra has announced no sales. And there is no known plans/need to change the license model.

• firebelly

Yeah, I haven't checked out their subscription service - just wondering if you get to keep using what you already have if you don't renew the subscription, with Adobe I would expect the answer is no.

I will check it out later....

• Assuming the current business model is providing the Scirra team with a healthy long term, sustainable income, I don't think there is a need for change...

And change at this point would make many of the early adopters feeling pretty let down...I think many would jump ship...

Construct 2 is cheap if you use it on a regular basis and or to provide your income, but for every hobbyist and developer that could be potentially milked for a subscription fee, there is someone who bought the lifetime licence and all it provides and will only use it for a few months...

Look around the forum many of the "paid up" newcomers will have fallen by the wayside well before the year is out...

• Leaving the licence model as-is is definitely a preferred option, and is great for the majority of C2 users at the moment I would imagine.

Based on their current model, I believe Scirra is not expecting buckets of money from every single customer.

Their price range is fair, and will allow many new-comers to come on board.

As long as the user base keeps growing enough I imagine they will keep the status quo.

But if they ever need to rethink their sales model, I think they would keep their motto in mind - 'Construct 2 is a game maker for Windows that lets everyone create amazing games.' - and remember not everyone has plenty of money.

• Just to confirm, we have no plans to permanently change either the pricing or changing the payment model.

• The powers at be have spoken

• Free to get, pay for perks. That's the model that provides the largest user base surge, yet gives the best opportunity for long term.

Visual Studio and such tools mostly succeed to a monopolization and training. C2 isn't the only system, nor is it the mostly widly used. They are best suited to stick with what they have, but push the use of an asset store. I'm hoping when modualrity comes into play. That the asset store can become finanancial beneficial for Scirra.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)