[SCIRRA!] PLEASE ADD SET ANGLE OF TILE MAP!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Add SubRip (SRT) subtitles to your videos in Construct 3
  • Well it's not tiled.

It would be a mapped texture.

• It would still be tiles, and it would be tiled. I don't understand why it wouldn't be.

• Tiled denotes objects lined up together, next to each other, and not overlapping each other.

• This is the kind of thing which is a lot easier to do if we drop canvas2d support, but right now I think that would upset a larger number of people.

Ashley

Would it really? I haven't run across a device made in the last couple of years that doesn't support webgl. Allowing old technology to hold back new technology with a growing user base seems off. And who's to say that the new tech can't support things the old tech doesn't? Software & hardware renderers co-existed in games for years until 3D accelerators became the norm, and the hardware renderers had more features than the software renderers without the world ending.

I'm just not following the train of thought that says "we can't do X because that would upset some people, even though not doing X holds everything back and upsets an increasingly larger number of people," but maybe I'm missing something? If Unity3D argued the same thing - even back when they were a smaller company - it would never have grown into what it's become.

• Would it really? I haven't run across a device made in the last couple of years that doesn't support webgl. Allowing old technology to hold back new technology with a growing user base seems off.

Ehemmm....Canvas 2D is still supported more places & devices than WebGL than you think. I'll just tell you know, if Ashley does remove canvas2d support then anticipate the entire forum and bug section will be flooded like never before.

And who's to say that the new tech can't support things the old tech doesn't?

Uhmm Ehemm...Stackoverflow.

I'm just not following the train of thought that says "we can't do X because that would upset some people, even though not doing X holds everything back and upsets an increasingly larger number of people," but maybe I'm missing something?

Uhhhmmm.... Ashley is an entrepreneur, he thinks for the majority and as of now canvas2d is still needed by majority.

As a game developer, i would choose to make a game that is likely to be played by majority of players than those rarely are played by gamers by interest.

• Tiled denotes objects lined up together, next to each other, and not overlapping each other.

If it is rotated..

Would tiles line up together? Yes

Would tiles be next to each other? Yes

Would tiles overlap? No

By your rules, it is still a tilemap.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What happens when you rotate a collision polygon?

• if the tilemap is rotated, it would just rotate with the tilemap.

at the moment, tilemaps can't be rotated, so when layers rotate, the tilemap is drawn rotated, but the collision polygons aren't

• Wait, are we talking about just rotating the whole map, or the ability to rotate individual tiles?

• Just to clarify... When rotating a tilemap in a separate layer, collision polygons don't work properly anymore. It's not that the collision cells didn't rotate, it's the collision polygons failing to work since it can't rotate. And because of that the tilemap collision polygon becomes one whole rectangle / square. If the case is that the tilemap has the solid behavior, it will become one rectangular/square solid ignoring it's own collision polygons.

My point is that the collision polygons not rotating is not the case, it's actually ignoring the custom collision polygon and reverting to a single rectangular default collision polygon because of the fact it can't rotate. Even the blank parts are affected.

• OK, well that's different.

I think the question would be if that would have any impact on the performance of the object.

I expect it probably would, and the most feasible solution would be set angles of the texture in multiple tilemap objects.

• This is the kind of thing which is a lot easier to do if we drop canvas2d support, but right now I think that would upset a larger number of people.

Can it not be done? I mean I understand it might be hard but I think it would open a huge area for new types of games.

• You can still make this using normal sprites positioned as a grid (and Containers). More stuff to calculate but is possible.

• You can still make this using normal sprites positioned as a grid (and Containers). More stuff to calculate but is possible.

Also, you could use the pin behavior to have your block sprites pin to an invisible sprite, so you could move this sprite around however you liked and the blocks would still follow it. This would work much much better than using a tilemap.

• There are advantages to using at tilemap instead of multiple sprites, for obvious reasons.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)