Repeated Steam instability

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • I would like to report, that I'm still using standard (non steam version) [Thank you so much Tom] and I have not had a single issue, I mean nothing, nada, zip.

When using steam version I was crashing all day long, and countless other issues.

When using standard version (non steam) I haven't had a problem, even the closing the program glitch has disapeared.

I have been using it a lot recently too, so really been pushing it.

Bottom line: I am so thrilled that I am going to purchase business version now (standard, non steam off course).

For those who look at steam forums for construct. Steam has deleted many topics related to any mention that steam causes instability with construct2 and other programs (one day they are there, next they are wiped out)

• Luckily no steam problems here, but it really sucks if it doesn't work and there aren't even decent reasons for it. Really wonderous since Steam normally works fine and is a great platform imo.

• I too have the exact same issue i have been trying to develop full time but this bug is driving me insane. I can use C2 normally but it just randomly wont respond. And there seems to be just no answers from anyone. The free non steam version works fantastic.

• Hey everyone, I have had Steam issues both on my crappy old Vista PC and again on my shiny new �1k Windows 8 PC. I appreciate it's a really difficult thing for Scirra to solve if the code is almost identical, but I think there definitely is a problem somewhere.

The only slightly helpful things I have to offer are my personal observations, namely that I almost always experience a crash when the Steam 'Update News' dialogue appears. I turned this off and it has helped me to reduce the crashes for sure. I can't be certain on this next bit, but I believe I also noticed a few issues when another Steam game starts to update. So it could be along these lines, or that could be a complete red herring.

The crashes are slightly less on my new PC, but one thing that persists is this: after a while using C2, and seemingly at random, the event sheet editor will be come extremely slow. It practically grinds to a halt when you try to edit a parameter and it loads the 'objects with expressions' box. I too thought this was an issue with my machine until I upgraded

• This thread is a few months old now - since it was posted we made some fixes our end which seems to have helped, and I'm pretty sure it only affects a small number of users, since lots of people use it on Steam but we don't get many reports of these types of issue. If there's still trouble though then it sounds likely it's Steam that's causing them. The Steam version of Construct 2 is almost totally identical to the one we publish on our site. The biggest difference is just that it checks with Steam if it's been purchased or not as opposed to using our own licensing system, which is a relatively small and simple change and it's hard to imagine that causing a variety of weird issues like you describe. On top of that everyone always reports the version from our site works OK (which is weird since it's almost identical) and SecondDimension's report seems to correlate problems with Steam activity, which seems to be further evidence towards Steam causing the problems.

I'll follow up again with Valve and see if anything can be done. If you really have trouble then I'm afraid the best course in the short term would be to get a refund from Valve (we can't do this for you - Valve handle all payments and accounts on Steam) and purchase again directly from us.

• Yeah sorry, I just noticed this thread was a bit out of date. I have to say that although I do still have issues, things have improved a hell of a lot since I first purchased C2, which is all I can ask really, so thanks.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The crashes are slightly less on my new PC, but one thing that persists is this: after a while using C2, and seemingly at random, the event sheet editor will be come extremely slow. It practically grinds to a halt when you try to edit a parameter and it loads the 'objects with expressions' box. I too thought this was an issue with my machine until I upgraded

This is the exact issue i have,i found that using steam in offline mode made the slow downs not as bad. They still happen but C2 seems to go back to normal quicker. Maybe steam is constantly checking if we have bought the product? It would make sense then since steam is in offline mode it is verifying internally and goes through the process quicker? Does C2 ask steam for verification on a regular basis or is steam the one checking?

• Sorry to bring this up again, but today my C2 was slow and unusable for about 30 minutes, which ended in a complete crash (had to CTRL+ALT+DELETE it). Anyway when I restarted, it turns out my Steam client required an update. This has happened to me enough times to not be a coincidence I think.

• So has anything been done about this? The suggestion to get a refund for c2 is well... if anybody has dealt with steam before you know what a shit show it is. And i purchased the C2 when a sale was on so they would give me 264 back(eventually,maybe if im lucky) and i would then have to pony up another 136$ I use this program everyday and I genuinely love it but this bug seriously affects my ability(and many others!) to use the program.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)