Optimization question

0 favourites
  • By removing all the dead space from around my animations I was able to clear up another 6 1024x1024 images . Isn't optimizing fun. Really makes me appreciate how amazing C2 is and the work and thought Ashley has put into the exporting process. You probably don't get enough credit for the behind scenes stuff like this, and it's pretty freaking impressive.

• Also, I keep hearing about crosswalk, but that is not an option for IOS, correct?

What is the go to solution for iOS right now that has memory management? Is it Ejecta?

It is ejecta indeed, hiwever some people had problem with it, so It might be less straitforward to use

Also phonegap will support it for iOS 8 I think, but as iOS is not my target, I suggest doing verification first if you really need to switch.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I might try ejecta again and see, I haven't used it in a while, mostly because it was iAd only. For this app, I might actually use iAds so it might work out.

However I am getting far with optimizing. It's good to note that you do need a 2 pixel buffer for the image sheets. I had all of my graphics set to a power of 2 (256, 512, etc). This actually causes more sprite sheets than needed. If I reduce size of all of them by 2 pixels, I can squeeze more on each sheet, creating less total sheets.

• Wow, just by making these slight changes the value in the debugger (which was 103mb during gameplay) is down to 65.

When I get back to my mac I am going to check it out and see how much changed. YaY!

• Wow, just by making these slight changes the value in the debugger (which was 103mb during gameplay) is down to 65.

When I get back to my mac I am going to check it out and see how much changed. YaY!

hi,

you have done this memory usage reduce only by make sprite power of 2 ? you mean tiled background or on simple sprite too ?!!!

• No tiled backgrounds, this is just by exporting the game and looking at the sprite sheets that are created and seeing how I could reduce the size of them, or eliminate some all together. Like my FRENZY example earlier, all 4 images were 256x64, which I figured would fit on a 256x256 spritesheet, but they don't. By reducing each sprites size to 254x62, they were all able to fit on a 256x256 sheet, saving precious memory. Hope that makes sense.

• Really makes me appreciate how amazing C2 is and the work and thought Ashley has put into the exporting process. You probably don't get enough credit for the behind scenes stuff like this, and it's pretty freaking impressive.

Glad you appreciate it does some cool stuff on export. It's all documented in export-time optimisations.

For iOS I really would recommend using PhoneGap right now. We will deprecate Ejecta as soon as iOS 8 gets ~75% market share, since it's not a real browser engine and so has a bunch of compatibility issues. As per the recent blog on iOS 8, PhoneGap is no slower than Ejecta and already supports a lot more features, and a future update should bring it up to Safari performance (way faster than Ejecta).

• I'll give it a shot, I tried it before and the game just crashed out. I don't mind it being ios8.

Thanks

Ed

• Will all my changes, I got it to about 140mb on the ipad. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm going to try phonegap now and see what's up.

• I tried phonegap build, it still crashes upon loading. I'll stick with CJS for now.

• So after looking and doing a bit of number crunching my bet is iOS8 is at 75% by 28th January 2015.

• Yeah, it's been a slow crawl w/ iOS 8. Not as slow as it's going to be for Android L though

• TiAm yeah, but we have crosswalk to cover us for that

• Yeah, thank goodness for crosswalk. It's been great how involved the crosswalk team has been on the forums too.

• TiAm I'm really hoping for a CJS / Cordova hybrid to be released by Ludei. They said they are going to announce something big 'soon' which was stimulated by me asking to confirm a rumor about making cordova / phonegap plugins accessible from CJS. So it maybe a tease and I may be hoping for too much, but if they go the whole hog. It would mean we have something good for all versions of iOS.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)