Will the Multiplayer Plugin be available to free users soon?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrollin.
  • Considering it costs us money to run the signalling server, I think you might be asking for a bit too much.

• Disagree with you...

A) Never said C2 would be included in subscription. That is a pay once, get liftetime updates

b) According to the blog post, the multiplayer plugin will be an additional subscription fee.

Call it a paid extension.

c) It makes no mention of signalling server. It clearly states it will be for he plugin itself.

[quote:qhbn1a41]a low-cost subscription for the full version of the multiplayer feature upon its final release. This is planned to support extended features, including player logins and data storage (e.g. for players to accumulate inventory, achievements, ranks or experience points in a multiplayer game), leaderboards, location-based matchmaking, and possibly relay servers to help connect users who are behind extremely restrictive NAT and would otherwise be unable to connect

The subscription for the multiplayer plugin will support developmental costs (past and future).

And I'm totally good with that. As for A) I didn't specifically say you were saying that the cost would be part of C2 and thus C2 subscription. I was saying that the grammatical implication indicated as such.

Thanks for quoting Ashley's comment. However as I previously mentioned. The subscription charge will be for the signalling server. As your quote points out "Inventory, Achievements, ranks, XP...." must be stored on a dedicated server. This dedicated server will be Scirra's server and not MP functionality accessible to personal dedicated servers. If you could host your own server then there would be no need for the cost. However I'm pretty sure there would be no access to inventory, achievements, ranks, xp.

However and this is a big point. It seems that the plan for the MP Plugin has changed. Where as in the original posts that Ashley made; the MP Plugin will allow us to write our own signalling server to use. This however seems to have changed. Instead Scirra aims to provide the server for us at cost(which I'm ok with). We can technically reverse engineer the messages, but eh I'm not up for it. Paying tiered connection scale is fine by me. Saves me a lot of hassle.

So if MP is built to only interact with the Scirra servers. Then for the most part they are one in the same. However as Ashley points out in the last post. Scirra is in there rights to maintain and make money off hosting hardware for us to use. So At this point I get the feeling that your seeing the cost is on the Plugin, where I see it as the cost for the Scirra servers.

• >

> Quoting Our long text here

>

Agreed.

Either way, scirra are providing a awesome server which is very hard to beat and they are currently doing it for free, and having spent some time with multiplayer plugin yesterday - I am completely blown away at its functionality, and possible future development. So a "low cost subscription" to maintain, develop, and provide is okay in my books too

Very exciting stuff. Loads of potential - seriously, I'm salivating here. lol

dineshpabbi10,

There is a difference between bootstrapping your startup game business (I take it you wish to make money from making games) and freeloading it.

No business can make money without spending money (that includes bootstrap business). I can also say from experience, everyone has money enough to purchase C2, they just don't hold it in high enough priority over other things.

If you are a student, get a part time job, if you have a job, you have the money... SAVE!

I live in a country where 80% of the population want everything for free, and I love my country, but this mindset is handicapping the masses. If you want something, work for it. Then it means so much more.

The difference between the guy that buys a $10,000 online marketing course, and the guy that pirates it. The guy that buys it makes sure he completes the course, applies it. He wants to get his 10,000 investment back. The guy that pirates it, lets it gather dust on one of a zillion full harddrives.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hell yeah. C2 is sooo easy to make games in I'm so glad they started MP.

• The difference between the guy that buys a $10,000 online marketing course, and the guy that pirates it. The guy that buys it makes sure he completes the course, applies it. He wants to get his 10,000 investment back. The guy that pirates it, lets it gather dust on one of a zillion full harddrives.

So true.

• I like the MP plugin but I hope they let people who own C2 still have access to it for free at least with a limited capacity for their projects as I wouldn't need any advanced features. As a hobbyist/aspiring dev I cannot guarantee I'd use the plugin to make money to pay for a subscription cost.

Two other things I would like to see is if they would release the signaling server software/code and have the ability of the MP plugin to allow people to connect directly without a dedicated signaling server. Heck, if the signaling server was C2 code that'd be perfect.

Do not know how much they want to give with the C2 package VS Sub VS Paid Plugins though, since MP is hard work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)