Jank is... back / was never fixed / my hardware problem?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Pixel Sprites ala ReactorCore - Builder Hardware - Large pack of sprites!
  • What's Jank?

I did google it but got a wide variety of possible explanations.

• Tokinsom, it's got to know that it's not just me! Do you see dt varying or does it appear fixed?

OldieSteve, jank is apparent stuttering of the browser display, movement that doesn't appear smooth due to frame drops.

• Tested it with Chrome.

i5-3570K with AMD R290X.

Zero jank, perfect 60 fps and 0.016ms timings.

I have to add, in the past when I was testing performance, C2 would have stutter with Intel iGPUs, repeatable. But it ran fine on AMD GPUs or my NV GPU I had at the time (GTX 670).

• Low fps then, okay thanks

• Tested with Chrome

amd phenom II x6 1090T with nvidia geforce gtx 550ti

60fps and 16.667

• The pan demo worked flawless for me as well.

I wish that I had a suggestion to help you out, but my knowledge of such things is very limited.

• Like ryanrybot said, I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff but I tried it out on my gaming PC and my work PC and here are the results:

Gaming PC (AMD Athlon II X3 3.3 GHZ + AMD Radeon 7750 1 GB) = Dropped a few frames for the first 5 seconds and then held solid at 60. Tested in Chrome.

Work PC (i5-2500 + AMD RADEON HD 6350) = Didn't get above 30 fps Also tested in Chrome.

• I just tested this on my weak i5 laptop using W7 with embedded intel graphics. No problems at all. So it's probably caused by some sort of W10 driver problem....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's running smooth enough here with chrome. I used to get some pretty serious jank with firefox so I switched browsers. As far as I can tell the reason for the jank has to do with the rendering portion of the browser when a graphics card isn't supported well. Which is the case for my machine with all browsers.

Here's a sinple js test I made a while ago to see how smooth motion can be in the browser:

In chrome I get a slight variation in frametime but it's not terrible. Still it can be distracting to the eye.

• It's running smooth enough here with chrome. I used to get some pretty serious jank with firefox so I switched browsers. As far as I can tell the reason for the jank has to do with the rendering portion of the browser when a graphics card isn't supported well. Which is the case for my machine with all browsers.

Here's a sinple js test I made a while ago to see how smooth motion can be in the browser:

In chrome I get a slight variation in frametime but it's not terrible. Still it can be distracting to the eye.

When you move mouse while test is playing, the dips happen a lot. What's odd, thought not related to this test, is that in NWjs when you move mouse, the fps gets smoother.

• megatronx, I was playing around with using the mouse as well. My first version of the test involved clicking the mouse to initiate a position change. Clicking should not demand much - lol - you would have thought... but it can. I never got around to trying the keyboard...

• When I run the same test in nw.js v12.0 it's perfect. Which is good, because that's my export target. I'm just becoming suspicious of google's dev program....

• Ran your test on safari and got jank every 5-10 seconds with fps at 60.

Tested on a macbook pro 2011

• When I run the same test in nw.js v12.0 it's perfect. Which is good, because that's my export target. I'm just becoming suspicious of google's dev program....

I feel that someone responsible for this technology is irresponsible and wasting opportunities. Seriously, with all the tech we have these days, performance looks dramatic comparatively.

• megatronx

Google messing up Chromium was the root cause of these issues.

But you think that's bad? They roll out lollipop Android update that ruined my Nexus 5. Earpiece speaker no longer functions, only the main speaker does, and the mic doesn't work unless I plug in a headset. Just from an update. It was a few months over the 1 year warranty as well.

Apple's recent iOS9 update ruin many games, even from big studios like 2K, their Bioshock no longer runs. HTML5 games no longer had functioning audio.. it's a messy situation with these OS makers being very unprofessional.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)