Intel bringing SIMD to Javascript

0 favourites
  • Pode - rendering work on a CPU is usually so slow as to be not worth the bother at all, even with SIMD. GPUs do that way better, and already do in WebGL mode! Also, what makes you think WebGL mode is slow? It benchmarks upwards of twice as fast as canvas2d in most cases.

• Ashley : I was thinking more about effects like altering colors or things like that.

• Pode: I don't see how that changes it. We wouldn't implement 'Tint' in software, because then you end up with a tricky memory management problem with all the cached copies of the tinted sprite, and fading the tint (changing it every tick) would still be prohibitively slow. Best to leave rendering features to the GPU.

• Pode - color filters would be the best way to do color shifts as they are way, way faster than the tint effect (CC had them if you want to see how fast they are - I found no speed difference at all between using them or not), and are done on the gpu. I'm still hoping they get implemented as they're one of my most wanted features.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • - rendering work on a CPU is usually so slow as to be not worth the bother at all, even with SIMD. GPUs do that way better, and already do in WebGL mode! Also, what makes you think WebGL mode is slow? It benchmarks upwards of twice as fast as canvas2d in most cases.

I am referring to WebGL effects, its utterly broken on mobiles as the performance hit is usually massive to a point of crippling performance on the latest hardware. So there is room for improvement right there.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)