How many immovable Physics objects can PC handle?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • I'm making a game on NWjs ; with cars moving on Physics and Physics alone. Therefore, every single wall in game is a physics immovable (although every single wall is a copy of wall1, not wall2). Could it potentially bring about performance trouble? (Map is planned to be bigger than 100,000pix)

• Please help??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Could it potentially bring about performance trouble?

This depends on your system.

The more objects and events, the more your performance will suffer.

Whether that influences the framerate up to a level, where you can't enjoy the game anymore, depends on the player's system, i.e. his CPU power.

Generally, you would want to keep as few objects as possible in the layout and do as few events and condition-checks as possible.

• Thats understandable and fairly logical.

My question was whether immovable Physics object (with no movement occuring) are more of a strain for your system then, say, Solids?

• Pretty easy to test yourself.

Physics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hnbzdyycp3wf ... .capx?dl=0

Solids

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y52ot5t8yxxii ... .capx?dl=0

That does answer you question. Although the question is meaningless.

1/ You can not compare 'Solid' with 'Physics Immovable'.

They do not have the same purpose.

'Solids' are always used in combination with other behaviours. They have no meaning on there own.

'Physics Immovable' only interacts with objects that also have the Physics behaviour attached.

2/ A layout with only 'Solids' has no purpose.

A layout containing only 'Physics Immovable' objects has also totally no purpose.

The question could be 'Is a Bullet interacting with a Solid' more a strain for your system then 'a Physics driven object interacting with a Physics Immovable object' ? Or, it is the interaction that matters, nothing else.

And that borrows the question down to 'is this (any) behaviour' faster or slower then 'the physics behaviour'.

3/ Solids, without a behaviour using those solids, do not interact with each other in any way.

'Physics Immovable objects' do interact with each other, even if you dont see them even slightly shiver. A layout containing only 'Physics Immovable objects' has Physics simulations going on, has calculations happening.

Therefor, creating 1000 overlapping 'Physics Immovable objects' will (i expect) run the behaviour out of memory or into a looping three-body problem leading to a crash in the app.

• Okay, thanks for such a strong reply.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)