GM might be 15 years old, but Unity is also around that age. Just because they've been released a long time ago doesn't mean they aren't being updated. If it really was as buggy as bad as you say it is, I doubt it would have that many games done and dusted by that engine. I noted seeing in the showcase that a lot of the people there are actually fairly young. The guys who did Risk of Rain appear to be in their early twenties, and they were in University when they did it, one of the developers look like they're 15 themselves.
As for veterans of the software, you yourself have been here 4 years, Aphrodite has been here 3 years, we have tons of other members who've been here since the beginning and there's still no showcase worthy games... Unless you count Darkbase 01.
It's one thing if you're a long time user of a game development engine that uses code, because you have to learn code and such.
But Construct 2 has a "no code required" thing to it, so people should be popping out games left and right. Instead we have people talking about how they're switching to other engines and how C2 basically slapped them into not earning money.
"C2 has more games than you think"
All I can think of is: Airscape (Not released yet as far as I know), Coin-Op Story (still in alpha), Cosmochoria (no idea of the status), The Next Penelope (who switched) and, Mortar Mellow.
MMF2 (which could totally be misconstrued as a porn genre, now you cannot unsee):
Clickteam made their debut with Klik & Play in 1994, it may be antiquated and poorly designed, but compared to C2 it still more powerful and stable, not to mention it has the native export advantage over C2.
GMS, I'm just going to lay this here from 2012.
Now, you could argue that that was in 2012, and things have changed, C2 has gotten better, yadda yadda.
But then consider this: Things haven't changed enough (or at all) because we still have people saying the exact same thing 3 years later.
Bottom line, with C2 we're still waiting on basic features and bug fixes that aren't going to come as Sccira's moved on to C3.
Exports that we're told are impossible to make and we're still holding our thumbs saying "Let's just wait and see."
That's fine, if you're got time to waste and a steady source of income so that you're not depending on anything.
For the rest of the world, bad bad news.
Maybe Ashley should re-open CC and fix it.
In any case; While other engines such as GMS (formerly GM), Unity and a bunch of others (even Stencyl, Stencyl!!) have improved a lot. They've each improved immensely, GMS broadened with major bug fixes, new features, performance updates, new exporters, better UI. Unity3D added in major support for 2D games, tons of new development features and improvements, new exporters, better UI.
Stencyl I hear went through a major performance improvement.
Meanwhile, C2 fixed a few bugs, brought in others and watched people develop wrappers like it was a Prime Time TV show then shifts blame on said tv show when customers complain of literally everything.
When you buy something, you expect it to work correctly, if not, then you expect to get fixed. You don't expect the seller to tell you [quote:3idrn85a]"Hold on a couple years while these people who have literally nothing to do with me maybe fix what is part of the default features in every other engine. But don't hold your breath if you think they're not going to introduce more bugs!"
I'm not trying to hate on C2 or anything, I wish it was a lot better. The editor is amazing, but that's 90% of what's good about C2, the other 10% is how fast and easy it is to learn and get an example set up. Everything else is bugs and performance issues.
The real reason why other engines such as Unity, GMS, UE(Number), and a bunch of others have showcase games and a good history is because they fix issues instead of hopping onto the next feature like a cocaine crazed magpie seeing something shiny.
IMHO, C2 should only ever be used for browser only games. Not PC, not mobile. Just browser. C2 is effectively the next iteration of Flash but without the scripting. Although Flash could always be used to make a desktop game and performance would be reliable.
Probably made this post way too long.