Code support

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • I want something in-between. At the moment you can 'almost' type your code using keyboard shortcuts and the existing incremental matching (i.e. you start typing 'burg' and it matches 'burgerSprite' in the narrowing list of objects) but it is still a fair way off, and yet tantalizingly close..

I'm sure you know this, but when typing free form code you open yourself up to all the associated issues (typos, syntax errors, tab alignment, etc. etc)

But right now in C2, you can type:

"E"

"sys" <enter>

"compare v" <enter>

"VVV" <enter>

<Tab> ">"

<Tab> 23

<Enter>

"A"

"sys" <enter>

"Set ob" <Enter>

<Enter> "Spr"

<Tab> "0.0" <Enter>

to get

System | Variable3 > 23 -> System | Set Sprite time scale to 0.0

Not a single click* Don't laugh! It's very close to being quite usable but there are some horrible gotchas that make it frustrating to use, although I do quite often just to avoid millіons of mouse clicks. Yes I know, you're asking for code support don't shoot me down (I love writing code too) but I'm just saying this is kind of ok.

As I've said before, I came to C2 specifically to get away from code, but everyone has a different viewpoint.

*ok so I had to click on an existing event to be able to press "E" and "A" in the first place

• codah I get what you are saying and I like what you are on to. I agree -- and I can even say I do not even have a need to actually code the events. Something along the lines of what you are talking about sounds great too! I think we can agree that having to click 4 dialog windows deep to do one simple thing gets old.

Although the one thing that your post doesn't address is still the reusing of evens and event blocks. Or that nasty little pop up that tells you that you certain events cannot be pasted because of blah.

Even though I am a coder I can easily admit that the event system is fantastic -- but the event system needs SOME way or improvements to more rapid development and re-usability. I genuinely think this is something that can be accomplished without having to code as you point out. I am open to anything.

• I did it

I can write code and manipulate the object from JS file code... just because I'm awesome.

I'm planning to use it as an easier way to write quick direct less intensive plugins. As my import model only let's it run in the VM

• Why stop there?

Ok Google, hit that button there and make a platform game for me... kthnks

Also, hey Siri , please notify me when the neural interface is ready.

Im just happy to be without all the crap syntax, but if you wanted to go deeper, it would nice if even the expressions were less syntax sensitive.

Like you click lerp, it asks for a, b, and c.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think we can agree that having to click 4 dialog windows deep to do one simple thing gets old.

Amen to that. I would love for C3 to address this kind of thing, and being an editor overhaul, it's actually on topic!

Although the one thing that your post doesn't address is still the reusing of evens and event blocks. Or that nasty little pop up that tells you that you certain events cannot be pasted because of blah.

Yeah I strategically ignored that Well, the nasty popups are valid aren't they, because you're trying to do something illegal. As far as re-use, you can already copy/paste (with some annoyances) and I'd argue re-use using Functions is a better idea (but yeah I know what you're saying).

Even though I am a coder I can easily admit that the event system is fantastic -- but the event system needs SOME way or improvements to more rapid development and re-usability. I genuinely think this is something that can be accomplished without having to code as you point out. I am open to anything.

Im just happy to be without all the crap syntax, but if you wanted to go deeper, it would nice if even the expressions were less syntax sensitive.

Like you click lerp, it asks for a, b, and c.

Yeah C2 is in a weird place between total non coders and geniuses like jayderyu (that's a compliment)

• I am not sure why users ask for pure text code editor inside C2, not ask for improving the gui of event sheet.

Assume that Ashely finally built a pure text code editor, then users might ask

• why not add highline
    • why not add autocomplete
    • why not add symbol window
    • why not add call graphs or class tree diagrams

sourceinsight

Okey, now users have a more powerful pure code editor with a lot of aid gui, and it will look like.... an event sheet.

• Being able to actually just type out the events is all I could dream of. Clicking on GUIs is tedious, especially when dealing with a lot of events such as manipulating and checking through 2d arrays. Being able to simply type what is already there and having the ability to copy paste and reuse the code (events) in a less awkward way would be amazing.

I don't need other language support (lua, python, etc) -- and I don't even need access to the javascript. Just the exact wording of the events in its own script.

Hi Twinsonian, this is exactly what I meant, no need of low level code system, at least managing same events in a text way.

Assume that Ashely finally built a pure text code editor, then users might ask

- why not add highline

- why not add autocomplete

- why not add symbol window

- why not add call graphs or class tree diagrams

All these already available in tiny expression text boxes.

I created a small example, how to it can look like in my opinion, I've took events block from "Make a Match-3 Game in Construct 2: Animations and Block Swapping" by David Silverman:

[attachment=1:1sum7tnc][/attachment:1sum7tnc]Reading and managing events like these would be much more efficient, I think. At least for me.

In upper example I've just mimic events structure, but we can simplify it more:

[attachment=0:1sum7tnc]

• Interesting.

What if instead of typing out if, or some other conditional we could just click an icon, and do away with all the syntax?

• I created a small example, how to it can look like in my opinion, I've took events block from "Make a Match-3 Game in Construct 2: Animations and Block Swapping" by David Silverman:

[attachment=1:2jtaewwf][/attachment:2jtaewwf]Reading and managing events like these would be much more efficient, I think. At least for me.

In upper example I've just mimic events structure, but we can simplify it more:

[attachment=0:2jtaewwf]

I'd love for this to exist - C2's simple syntax with editable, auto-completing, line by line code.

As easy as the visual system is, on complex projects it just feels like there's too much noise, and having to drag around a mouse and click everywhere somehow seems slower than just typing to me.

People aren't asking for in-engine JS or HTML, just a text alternative - with all the hard locks that the block system has.

I completely understand why it goes against the image C2/3 is trying to convey, but this is my "why can't C2 do 3D" guilty wish.

• anpur

Just to point out, the same simplifications you did by typing can be done in events by using families.

• anpur fantastic! That would be sooooo amazing.

• -1 for me. There will be biases depending on the language(s) you've come from and nobody will agree on any of it. For instance I already don't like the format you have described. Where's my curly braces?

*Just saying if Ashley could click a finger and have code support, I'd have nothing against it (as I could ignore it if I wished, as long as the GUI features didn't suffer) and I would probably even dip into it from time to time. It might be interesting to hit the 'view source' button occasionally But in the real world, I wouldn't want all that manpower diverted to it.

• anpur

You had missed something in this too simple example-

1. how to get the object reference (i.e. object name + SOL)? It might be more then 10 or 100 object types in the project.

2. how to get the function name (i.e. action name) or member name (i.e. expression)? Each kind of object type might has a lot of members (functions). And the input parameters of these functions...

It is not true that pure text coding is easy than gui event.

• eh. The Event Sheet system has the benefit of making the way we program so much better. The draw back to the ES system now is how C2 requires so much over head to make the system interact with C2. If it was easy to just pre-tag information and then C2/C3 could interpret that for the ES system. Then I think more people would jump on board with the entire ES system.

Code would be written as a form of classes, but not directly related to game functionality.

ES would be the glue between it all. This would increase overall development. But as it is. the SDK ACE system is heavy.

• I say nope.

Because I would prefer to see Ashley work on a thousand of different things instead. The reason? He's the only one working on C2. I wish they would hire more people but apparently it is hard to find a good one. Maybe it could just be him having high demands on "same mind" and do not want to lose time to "synch".

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)