My Cocoon IO feedback (vs IntelXDK).

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Did some research, App Preview doesn't allow plugins, so there's no WKWebView acceleration, just default UIWebView, hence, the terrible performance.

Tried to do the build, got all the certificates and icons done.

Won't build, failed to install the WKWebView plugin that XDK recommends: https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView

Also failed to install the Cordova dependency, WebView Server.

Le-sigh.

• Won't build, failed to install the WKWebView plugin that XDK recommends: https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView

Also failed to install the Cordova dependency, WebView Server.

Le-sigh.

It's happened after the last Construct 2 update (r223) and I don't understand why. I had to delete the WKWebView from XDK plugin management tool to be able to build the IPA. Also after this update sometimes portion of my screen is magnifying and I've to restart the app to play the game again. Maybe Ashley could explain about theses issues, including WKWebView.

• RBuster - the screen scaling sounds like this bug which should be fixed in the next build. I'm not sure what could have affected building for iOS, please file reports if you have any more issues.

• RBuster - the screen scaling sounds like this bug which should be fixed in the next build.

It's good to know that. Thanks, Ashley

[quote:1jasney2] I'm not sure what could have affected building for iOS, please file reports if you have any more issues.

I got this error when I built the IPA trough XDK:

Error: Plugin "CordovaWebServer" failed to install.

Error: Plugin "" failed to install.

Error: Could not retrieve plugin dependencies for WKWebView Poly '.

Error: Plugin WKWebView Poly failed to install.

I've to remove it from the plugin management. First I thought it was a XDK problem (despite not having any XDK update recently) ), but when I've exported the files from C2 again, this plugin wasn't inserted in the plugin management as happened before. So I thought that it's something related of C2.

• I got this error when I built the IPA trough XDK:

Error: Plugin "CordovaWebServer" failed to install.

Error: Plugin "" failed to install.

Error: Could not retrieve plugin dependencies for WKWebView Poly '.

Error: Plugin WKWebView Poly failed to install.

I've to remove it from the plugin management. First I thought it was a XDK problem (despite not having any XDK update recently) ), but when I've exported the files from C2 again, this plugin wasn't inserted in the plugin management as happened before. So I thought that it's something related of C2.

I have the exactly same error message.

Without that WKWebView plugin, performance falls back to standard UIWebView, and it's horribly slow.

I'm using r217, so I don't think it's a 223 issue.

?

• I have the exactly same error message.

Without that WKWebView plugin, performance falls back to standard UIWebView, and it's horribly slow.

I'm using r217, so I don't think it's a 223 issue.

?

Maybe Intel were testing this plugin. I talked with Paul F and AFAIU the plugin will be present in the next XDK update.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Maybe Intel were testing this plugin. I talked with Paul F and AFAIU the plugin will be present in the next XDK update.

Yep, I'll wait for the next update and re-tested it.

• would there be a difference if the source code came from github or npmjs? I found some more plugins here https://cordova.apache.org/plugins/?q=wkwebview but idk if they work cause they all seem the same

• Hi. Can you help me about this question please ? Does IOS app run on canvas+ better than intel xdk ? My app can't play on low Android devices and iphone 4S or lower. But I tried my game with Cocoon canvas+ in Android, it runs very well on low devices without heating up. But I dont have iphone 4 to test the app now. So can u help me with this question please ? Thank you so much !

• cocoon.io is a better choice for ios. I don't think cocoon no longer supports ios 7 which means iphone 4 is out of the question

• As of 8th June, is cocoon faster than XDK for android? Also, how are the permissions these days?

• Would like to know someones experience on the new version of intelxdk ???

• Would like to know someones experience on the new version of intelxdk ???

Zebbi ,

Yes, i can confirm the performance. I have spent a week or two of testing and Cocoon beats latest XDK. Btw, my game was completely unplayable on Android 4.2.2 (which still holds like 25% of market share) via XDK + Crosswalk, but with Cocoon performance is quite good. I also experienced some bugs regarding music and advertisement in XDK, but Cocoon had nothing like that. I also tried building by Adobe's Phonegapp - the performance was the worst there. Just FYI.

About your error - the post was in 2014, and a lot could change in this process. I recommend double checking the plug-ins you are using and maybe remove some of them which are not necessary which are not required. As of 09 June 2016, Cocoon is your best shot. It is not perfect, but it is edible.

• miketolsa ,

You can take my word for that as Zebbi wrote above. Cocoon gives better performance, faster build'n'test possibilities, flow of UX is very smooth and your app is going to be 20 mb lighter than Crosswalk-build. There are just three things to note:

1. Cocoon does not support "Letterbox Scale" full screen mode, so you got to think about that

2. Cocoon does not support Web Fonts, so you either got to stick with standard fonts (ugly) or use Sprite Fonts. Not a big deal, but can be a pain in the ass if you need to change the color of the text or already used fonts in your build.

3. Cocoon puts a lot of permission requirements on the app, depending on the services and plugins you are using, Zebbi can share his experience with that. The more permissions you ask from your users, the less likely they will install your app.

Proof can be found in my signature, and If you need any help, please let me know.

Happy Building!

• Oh dang, also be sure to check 's dev blog - http://tobyr.wtfgamesgroup.com/ , you will probably find some answers there.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)