C2 vs real programming

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Scrollbars with FULL functionality and versatility, just like the ones you can find in AAA games!
  • Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd also like to introduce a new saying.

If you want to write code, go write code.

• We have ideas to improve the reusability and modularity of events in future in C2. Unfortunately our todo list is so long we may not be able to get round to it quickly.

• The idea of specific event sheet for objects (behavior sheet) could work well. Maybe separate the concept of event sheets in global sheet, scene sheet, and object sheet. They would then have different picking scopes. . That would improve C2 immenselly. Huge feature. No more picking problems in some recorrent situations. That's my feeling about it at least.

• The idea of specific event sheet for objects (behavior sheet) could work well. Maybe separate the concept of event sheets in global sheet, scene sheet, and object sheet. They would then have different picking scopes. . That would improve C2 immenselly. Huge feature. No more picking problems in some recorrent situations. That's my feeling about it at least.

Second this.

• Second this.

Great Idea

I second Also.

• The main point here is that construct 2 should be object oriented instead of procedural. case can certainly be made for C2 already being object oriented. It gives us objects with state and behaviour. The various constructive (!) suggestions being made don't require a change in C2's fundamental paradigm.

• Hi there,

My meaning is - real programming is sh*t - Construct 2 is Magic!

Ashley and Tom - What you have created is absolute Groundbreaking!

Making Games with C2 is absolute Intuitive - and to this C2-Base you can

add more and more Magic's.

Can't wait your next releases!

KMag

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • kiyoshi - what exactly do you mean by "different picking scopes"?

• I meant something like: If an event sheet is assigned to a specific object on scene the events will relate only to that instance, so single scope. If assigned to an object type, all objects of that type, bigger scope. If assigned to scene, then all objects from that scene, full scope and so on. Don't know if it could go more high level than scene scope... The idea is having total control of picking. Of course that can all be done with current system. It's just harder. It's only an idea that passed my mind, don't know if it would be viable to implement. It's like a picking top level filter.

• nutmix

While I do agree to some extent on your feeling about plugins and software I am going to have to say that if you want to continue to pursue construct 2 and have the functionality of functions (ha) then you really should try out the function plugin.

Again, this plugin does so much for closing the gap between the coders and the eventers when working with construct 2.

everyone else

I think it is unfair to simply say "If you want to write code, go write code" when I feel that the message many are trying to get across is that they want to have more depth, functionality, and power of the event system. I think they compare it to writing code because that is the easiest way to explain their point of view. I doubt that many want to see construct completely changed to a game maker language style of game creation but want to add powerful features that allow them to accomplish things the way either they want to or are used to.

Simply dismissing a point of view because it is not what construct currently offers is foolish and in the long run will drive away potential users to other alternatives such as coding alone will do just that, drive them away. One of the great things about construct so far is that it feels like it has identified many of the things that users love when working with other tools and simplifies them and makes development much quicker while maintaining the same or close to the same degree of performance in many cases.

PS: The function plugin should be part of construct 2, just sayin =)

PSS: I set my event sheets up like classes and with their own functions works great.

• Yes, I think C2 is great, and should stick to its unique point and click interface and not introduce any programming/scripting languages. I also know the to do list must be full of great ideas and requirements.

I'm thinking that user defined events could but added like families were: to make the existing graphical point and click interface even more powerful with no extra learning curve. It may even be possible to share event sheets across projects at some point, assuming that objects are reference by names and you keep the same object names in both projects.

I might even check out the function plugin!

Long live C2!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)