Unable to import /tmx file with 2 tilesets

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

> This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

>

You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.

you're right! sorry for my misunderstanding > <

i discover that is possible load them from editor when insert "tilemap" object > <

me guilty sorry for mi english too

• > OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

>

>

> > This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

> >

> You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.

>

you're right! sorry for my misunderstanding > <

i discover that is possible load them from editor when insert "tilemap" object > <

me guilty sorry for mi english too

You're better off using rexrainbow 's tmx importer. The C2 importer is for tmx files is...kind of completely terrible, and extremely limited. You can load your tilesheet (the tile images themselves) into the built-in tilemap plugin at runtime using Load image from URL, then using rex's plugin to retrieve the tilemap data and place the tiles into the Tilemap object. Keep in mind the Tilemap object is (despite claims otherwise) somewhat low-performance if you're building a scene that isn't designed for having relatively few tiles on screen at once.

If you're going to have tiles that don't use default polygon colliders, you may be better off loading all of the tilesheet images into an empty animation in a sprite, then pasting the tiles into a Paster (the Paster plugin) object and then removing the sprites afterwards, and use separate objects to detect collision on the tiles you want to act as jumpthrough/solid/etc.

• The C2 importer is for tmx files is...kind of completely terrible, and extremely limited.

What other issues are there other than the one described in this report?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • To be fair, I think the C2 TMX importer is a totally different workflow from Rex's. Rex's TMX Importer is a runtime importer, whereas C2's built-in one actually resolves TMX objects to C2 objects. This totally changes how you even design the game. I don't think it's terrible, but just a different workflow.

On the other hand, Rex's TMX Importer is comprehensive, allowing the reading of Tiles, Objects and Object-Groups. It reads Tile/Object 'custom properties' so it's possible to create a map with specific attributes within Tiled, and have that correspond to something in C2. The connection to the tmx is made during start of runtime, so if you build your C2 events and behaviours right, you can 'make' a game right out of Tiled by populating it with meaningful properties, and then using C2 as the interpretter of the tmx. Quite flexible, and frankly, quite fun.

Only rexrainbow can say, but it may be due to the C2 editor's limitations that his TMX Importer ended up being a runtime plugin. But I think it's brilliant implementation. I had my own reservations at the start, but eventually appreciated workflow of assigning C2 behaviours based on TMX properties. And the fact that you could only see the results after hitting the preview button.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)