Random window issues since 164

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • Does this still happen on the 64-bit version of C2? The OP error message indicated a 32-bit install of Construct 2.

I've looked in to this, and it appears Windows simply has a hard limit of 10,000 UI objects, even in the latest versions, which sucks. C2 also provides icons in 3 sizes (16x16, 32x32, 64x64) so with 2000 object types in your project you could get up to 6000, and then I guess there's a bunch of other UI stuff going on, so it hits the limit and basically the UI starts falling apart as it can't allocate any more UI objects from the OS.

I've read a few posts by MS engineers along the lines of "10000 should be enough for anybody" (sigh) so doesn't look like this will change any time soon. I will review the code in C2 and make sure it's as efficient as possible, but I'm not sure how to avoid creating all the necessary icons for components like the project bar, where it needs to be able to show everything at once. Icons are also already lazy-loaded per size requested so that should keep the counts down too. Perhaps there's something else I'm missing, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Possible hackish workaround - do not attempt if you're not comfortable with possibly system restoring/booting in to safe mode to fix things: from what I've read you can increase Windows' limits slightly, by modifying the registry. Head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. There are two keys initially set to 10000: GDIProcessHandleQuota, and USERProcessHandleQuota. Set them both to 18000 (decimal) and reboot the machine, and hopefully C2 will have more breathing room with icons.

• Yes, I use 64-bit C2. It's a little strange since it doesn't happen every time, but almost always immediately following a preview.

• OK, so I've added a new preference to the next build allowing you to turn off the icon cache, so it has fewer icons sitting in memory. It will slow down the editor since every time it needs an icon it must re-load the original image and stretch it down to an icon size. To help keep that as fast as possible it will also reduce the icon quality. r170 should be out soon with that option, so you can try it out and see if it helps - let me know.

• That sounds awesome! You're the best, I look forward to trying it.

• Has anyone tried turning off the icon cache and does it help avoid UI issues? Also does it slow down the editor too much?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Whoah I didn't realize the update was up. I'll test it tonight after work!

• I unchecked the cache and things seem to be running great. There's about a second extra wait when loading the object list for events, but there's nearly no difference for me. But I can run the preview, make changes to the game, and re-run it and it doesn't collapse and fall apart and die any more. I don't know if it will always be the case, but so far I haven't had any crashes. I hope the icon thing fixed it for others!

• OK, closing as workaround provided, hopefully that will keep the editor usable for very large projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)