Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • > Ralph

> I'm wont working on Q3D for a while (possibly for a few months) since i have other projects to complete for the time being.

>

Gosh! does that mean the minor fixes that we were talking about will not happen for few months!?

Not a few months, but I really don't have the time this month (june) due to personal matters.

• miketolsa

take a look at the raycaster example for an idea of how the picking can be done. After you have a surface and point you can find the nearest grid position by using this trick (which works in 2D aswell):

X = round(xposition/cellXsize)*cellXsize

Y = round(yposition/cellYsize)*cellYsize

Z = round(zposition/cellZsize)*cellZsize

This finds the X/Y/Z of the "closest" grid cell to a specified X/Y/Z position in a non-grid coordinate

• Hello! I was thinking about skeletal animation on mobile. The thing is my characters are pretty much consist of non-bending elements. So what if I use skeletal animation and just parrent my objects to bones? Will it give me an advantage in performance? Which kind of animation is more suitable for my scene, that always contains 8 animated characters. I would really like to know if I'm going the right way. Thanks!

• RadioMars

In general, morph animation is "faster" since it's all loaded into the gpu, however on weaker hardware it's difficult for me to really say. Skeletal animation without blending is of course possible and will look right (where morph animation with non-blending tends to look "shaky" unless you use many frames which are memory inefficient) but i can't really say if the performance will be "better" since it's highly dependent on the number of bones/model complexity and the hardware itself. If you're already taxing the cpu having many skeletal animations will likely perform poorly, whereas if you have few bones it'll probably be a better choice compared to morph targets.

your best bet is to make a relevant benchmark to see how good the performance is for a given number of skeletons vs a comparable set of objects with morph animation. simple skeletons could possibly outperform morph target if the gpu is weak on the target platform.

I'm sorry I can't give a better answer! It's really not possible to give a simple answer since both techniques work to different strengths and weaknesses.

• Plugin bought!

I tried to execute all the examples but is one that not works, this s the error:

Javascript error!
    TypeError: this.runtime.Q3D.material[name].ambient is undefined
    http://localhost:50000/Quazi3D_plugin.js, line 2656 (col 2)

This may be a bug in Construct 2 or a third party plugin or behavior - please report it to the developer following the bug report guidelines. Subsequent errors will be logged to the console.[/code:2djd5uxl]

The example is called:
    Q3D - Lights & Geometry using Q3D Master (Solar System example)

What i missing?

Also, Is there the "Tiny Tank" game available to download as example to play with events?
  • Hello! I was thinking about skeletal animation on mobile. The thing is my characters are pretty much consist of non-bending elements. So what if I use skeletal animation and just parrent my objects to bones? Will it give me an advantage in performance? Which kind of animation is more suitable for my scene, that always contains 8 animated characters. I would really like to know if I'm going the right way. Thanks!

I can say ,, morph animations are a lot ,lot faster than skeletal

• matriax

Yeah don't worry about that error, its caused by the fact that example uses features that were removed and replaced by the Q3D Light object which makes things better/easier. I just forgot to remove it.

The tiny tank example uses a very early version of the plugin so thered be no point releasing it now, a lot of the things it uses are much simpler to do now so itd just be confusing (and would fail to open with newer versions for the same reason as that example)

Im going to compile some new examples probably some time in july.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ah ok!

About the examples, i will prefer some video-tutorial series or similar to learn well the plugin. I want to learn/see how construct a 3D mini game from 0.

For example a basic Wolfenstein, a plane as floor with some textured cubes as walls, red cubes following the player as enemys and the camera set like a FPS on you only see the weapon than can be perfectly a rectangular polygon that shoot yellow cubes and you can move the aim by the entire screen while walk with W,A,S,D.

Examples are OK and the plugin have a lot features, and as i said in the other thread, now the plugin needs more video-tutorials than other thing to the people can start using them without fear and learn from the most basic, well, in my opinion

• There's an issue with z-ordering. q3dSprites that are behind q3dmodels with transparency won't be shown through the transparent sections. So it looks like sprites are getting cut off or hidden.

How do I fix this?

• Okay, so apparently sprite objects are rendered last, and they can't be visible behind transparent materials. This makes using sprite objects useless without the ability to control the rendering.

I need to know how to control rendering with multiple scenes. Manually rendering each scene and clearing the depth buffer manually, manually clearing the scene..

• Also need a way to choose which scene to put the objects in.

There doesn't appear to be a way to clear the renderer manually. Also, when rendering a scene, it appears to clear it as well, which makes it impossible to render two scenes?..

• Maybe I can manage without such features. I'll just need to separate all my transparent bits off of the level and I'll have to create sprites out of them. Kind of a pain though.

EDIT :

BUG.. cropping the sprite causes the hotspot to be off-center. There's no way to reposition the hotspot/center, so the object looks incorrecly positioned in editor.

• Im going to compile some new examples probably some time in july.

I look forward to this. Personally, I'd like to see an actual project like the Tiny Tank demo or something similar so that I can break it down and understand how it all works. Either way this does seem like a pretty capable plugin!

• Looking through the examples.. mhm, like first of all: this is probably the craziest plugin. But man, it looks kinda complicated without any basic documentation. I can see purchasing this down the line but as of now I'm hesitating since I can't even manage to create a textured ground

Edit: Scratch that! My Box.obj file was kinda busted. NICE! This is pretty good.

• I cannot for the life of me get shadows to work. Sigh..

Edit: Okay, I seem to have got shadows to work, at least.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 3 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 3 guests)