Weapon License

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
JBoB Sound Studio AAA Quality Sound Effect "Weapon Master" Pack contain royalty-free stock sound effects.
  • I need any license to use real weapon and put their real name(AK47,MP40,StG44,MG42,Panzerfaust and Desert Eagle) in a game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes. I'm pretty sure Counter Strike had to use different names in their first game, so you could just copy those gun names since most people associate them with the real ones anyway.

• DarKeX More than likely you would encounter a problem if you started to sell your game. If it's free then gun manufacturers would only have a weak case in court (arguing 'fair use' on your part is guaranteed, it's how people get around putting music on YouTube).

However, if you're wanting to earn money from your game, and are also wanting to use the real names of the guns, you will have to get licencing rights from each individual gun manufacturer, and I remember reading a while ago that it isn't cheap. The alternative is to do what alspal suggested and use a name that is similar to the real name of the gun, that way you conveniently side-step the issue altogether, and save yourself a boatload of money too. I hope this helps.

Edit: I found this link discussing the issue, it's informative:

Garage Games Forum Topic

• It's a common misconception that offering a game for free rather than selling it has different legal ramifications. The gun companies could still initiate action against you if ti's a free game - but they probably won't choose to if the game doesn't get very popular.

• Yes. I'm pretty sure Counter Strike had to use different names in their first game, so you could just copy those gun names since most people associate them with the real ones anyway.

I don't think you could do that because those names would be copy right to the makers of Counter Strike.

• You mean something like: AK47(original) to AK49.But I think(exemple) that AK47 is was Soviet Union Rifle and i think no body can request me any rights...it is very used and made by a lot of country so..?The original weapon was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov and produced by Izhmash(a Russian weapon producer, i know it is owned by Russian country)..you ever put a real weapon name in your games?

• I'm 100% sure Countersrike/valve wouldn't care about it. They used CV-47 instead of AK-47 for instance.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)