Tidekit - Native vs. HTML5, they promise no difference

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A collection of native american themed game character sprites for creating 2D side scrolling games
  • fariwinds thanks for your response, I see now that you indeed have a loop of names for your recent purchases. I was put off by the fact that some of the names were the same as when I checked it a while back, but I guess that could be coincidence.

Well, nice to see this isn't as scammy as I thought. Good move reaching out like this

• There's still no technical explanation whatsoever and a ton of management speak disguised behind a facade of "happy customers". There are no happy customers.

I'm disappointed in you forum mates, just because a company rep came here, suddenly it's all sunshine, happiness and lollipops? I haven't seen any technical documents and people are already clamoring for "integration with c2".

I still stand by my skepticism. This still sounds like a scam.

• I stand with Fimbul on this one. All posts made by them in previous pages are only extended version of statements from their webpage, A lot of promises what "Tidekit can do for YOU" but not even a single example of app created by this or even how this exactly works.

2d games, 3d games, 70.000 modules, multiple OSs... tons of carefully thoughtful words put together.

And yeah, some guy just registered, post few words and suddenly he's a messiah of multi platform app development that will take your C2 projects and make them work everywhere and for everyone.

• I haven't looked for any tech details on TideKit, as the product isn't actually out from what I can gather - but information on TideSDK, their existing product, is readily available:

http://www.tidesdk.org/

https://github.com/tidesdk

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/tidesdk

Lends a bit of credibility.

• Poking around the source it seems to use the Titanium SDK as a base. Which was slow with C2 games last I heard:

• Fimbul I appreciate your reply. Our blog is the next milestone for public visibility and communication. I hope it will speak to your issues. For us, it will be the start of some broader communication with developers that will goes beyond the limitation of tweets. In my defense, I am not simply a company rep, I am a working, breathing, programmer and CEO of CoastalForge Inc, the company behind TideKit. CoastalForge is a Federal Corporation in Canada. I am project lead and developed TideSDK originally along with others. We've been actively developing TideKit since 2012 and are now bringing it to market. We developed and also supported TideSDK and helped companies with their apps and our community of users prior to this. Today, we are completely focused on TideKit and it will offer our TideSDK users a path to upgrade when TideKit is officially released.

In TideKit, you code for client and server in CommonJS and can use existing node.js modules or component from the components.io registry. To date exceeds 70K packages of functionality. As you will have seen from TideKit we have already developed a solution for multiple desktop platforms. Our vision of how developers could develop, was broader than this and we've been developing a new codebase from our experiences with TideSDK. This has extended the code base to mobile and web. So this encompasses a spectrum of operating systems and we have APIs to bridge these.

In our province of Nova Scotia, CoastalForge with TideKit was identified in the top 25 companies of 2013 in Innovacorp's i3 startup competition. We are here building a product. We are a small team, these efforts take time, but you will see the results of our work and more communication from us.

• rojohound Indeed, we originally we inherited Titanium Desktop from Appcelerator when they decided to focus exclusively on mobile. I brought together a team as the lead, and we refactored its code and got it working with all current versions of today's modern operating systems. At the time we inherited the software, it would not run on these. We also brought the project under Software in the Public Interest together with other popular open source projects like Drupal, Debian, and ArchLinux who were also under this umbrella. In Nov, 2012, some time following the 1.3.1 beta release, we decided on a new direction forming CoastalForge and began work on TideKit.

TideSDK used a custom version of 3 separate ports of webkit. As you may know webkit is one of the largest code bases on earth. So yes, TideSDK would have been slow because webkit was in need of upgrades. Because we decided on a different and broader direction for mobile, web and desktop, this did not happen in the open source codebase. That said there are still folks that use it and the 1.3.1 release is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100,000 downloads.

With TideKit, we made the necessary investments to the latest ports of webkit and we are constantly moving to stay close to the trunk. We also optionally build with chromium/blink as well so that we can continue to have App Store access with Apple's native port and highest possible HTML5 compliance . We customize webkit and chromium/blink for our product. Our APIs across platforms are consistent and we're maintaining compatibility with our TideSDK APIs to allow folks to move to something much faster and compliant.

• shinkan I hope I have explained who we are and what we are doing. Its fair to recognize where we are in our rollout and the credibility we have from our previous efforts. We are only at the start. I have indicated our next steps. Every product has its beginning and entry. Anything new will have its critics. We expect nothing less and the reaction we get to our product will help guide future decisions.

We are in a competitive situation bringing out a new solution that will work in a way that others don't today. There are some characteristics of our previous work that have gone into TideKit but is a new code base. We expect folks to be skeptical until they see it creating apps. That what our free trials are about when we release.

Our reservations are there for folks that support what we are doing, who may already know us from our previous work, and want 30 days to use TideKIt as early as possible. We have been building TideKit to end development multiple times for multiple platforms with the goal developers can monetize on a single effort and customers can gain ubiquity across devices with your app.

Keep in mind we also have APIs to bridge to native widgets for the OS. So TideKit is not simply a HTML wrapper, it is a solution to construct web, hybrid and native apps. We will offer unlimited builds using our build services and folks will be able to deploy for distribution, or a host (or cloud service) if deploying to the web.

• shinkan I hope I have explained who we are and what we are doing. Its fair to recognize where we are in our rollout and the credibility we have from our previous efforts. We are only at the start. I have indicated our next steps. Every product has its beginning and entry. Anything new will have its critics. We expect nothing less and the reaction we get to our product will help guide future decisions.

We are in a competitive situation bringing out a new solution that will work in a way that others don't today. There are some characteristics of our previous work that have gone into TideKit but is a new code base. We expect folks to be skeptical until they see it creating apps. That what our free trials are about when we release.

Our reservations are there for folks that support what we are doing, who may already know us from our previous work, and want 30 days to use TideKIt as early as possible. We have been building TideKit to end development multiple times for multiple platforms with the goal developers can monetize on a single effort and customers can gain ubiquity across devices with your app.

Keep in mind we also have APIs to bridge to native widgets for the OS. So TideKit is not simply a HTML wrapper, it is a solution to construct web, hybrid and native apps. We will offer unlimited builds using our build services and folks will be able to deploy for distribution, or a host (or cloud service) if deploying to the web.

You know, it's the internet and it's better if people stay skeptical. But I'm pretty sure that any doubts will vanish once the examples will start rolling out.

All Best

M

• fariwinds

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Though I guess unfortunately TideSDK and many others offer kits to build Apps. Where as C2 doesn't need the kit to build apps. C2 needs the a platform to run on effectively for the hardware/OS platforms. C2 is an App builder. If TideSDK can work as a HTML5 wrapper by dropping their HTML5 app into a package then the C2 community can look at using TideSDK.

I'm sure you and your team are working hard making a great set of tools, and good luck to your team on that. But that's not what most of the C2 community is looking for. C2 needs a good wrapper that doesn't have problems and offers good access to. WebGL, full js memory management(ie prototype memory release), full web audio, WebRTC, XML parsing, HTTPXMLRequest....

• jayderyu Thanks. TideSDK users will have to migrate at some point since the underlying libs are aging. TideKit is already substantially better for HTML5 compliance and performance. We work with the native languages capabilities of the device. What you suggest is what we do and make the capabilities available with APIs in JS and CommonJS. As put it – "show us", and we will.

We look forward to feedback in future once TideKit trials are under way. I'll try to come back one and a while to indicate what is happening. In the interim, we invite C2 developers to discover more about what we are doing by following us on our social channels on twitter, facebook, g+ or our blog that we are launching this week.

We are prepared to distribute some free reservations for a handful of devs to gain early access to TideKit on the basis they report their experiences back to this community following a trial. Please contact christian on our twitter channel if this is of interest to you. We'd like a few strong developers here with an established reputation to participate. The game developer community is important to us and I am happy we reached out to you here.

• Tidekit is dead, website shutdown, twitter account vanished. OP here was right all along..Crowd funding not being returned as it wasn't meant to be, utter con by coastal forge/tidekit, shame on you who call themselves tidekit devs (former tidesdk devs). Very sly and terrible way to make money by taking hard earned cash from others and giving them no product in the end but false hope.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Unscrupulous. Be ready for "TidalEbbKit" to launch in a couple of years, once their current crowd funding gains have been spent.

• A lawsuit is currently being mounted against TideKit/Coastal Forge as we've collected evidence that TideKit never was to be, that the entire project was geared toward one thing, defrauding people of their money and they made a lot. Legal cause is being established and legal action pursued. The original discussion began here: github.com/reduxframework/redux-news/issues/59 . We are now asking that anyone who paid for TideKit please forward a copy of their seat number email and payment confirmation to: TideKitLawsuit [at] gmail.com

And join us on Twitter to receive updates and join our discussion: TideKitLawsuit

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)