This application lets you compose a waveform. You don't create a wav-sample, nor does it produce any sound. You are creating one cycle or period of a waveform, that will be used in synths like AM Freehand, or for wavetable synthesis.
You design your result with up to 5 waveforms that you combine with mathematical operators. For synths you may export the result to a text-file with a newline-seperated list of values. Those files can be exported directly to synths like AM Freehand and many others.
<img src="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11182740/construct/WaveEditScreen2.png" border="0">
(1) The Menu
- Open a project
- Save a project
- Take a snapshot of the current sliders
- Apply a previously taken snapshot to the current sliders
(2) Tooltip Window
Shows some hints as well as the path of an opened, saved or exported project.
(3) Resulting Waveform
This waveform is the result of the combination of all the composing waveforms below.
- Normalize switch, if inactive result is clipped
- DC balanced switch, if active result will be cleaned from DC offset
- Select 1 of 4 different export sizes (as samples per cycle)
- Export waveform button, exports to raw text (newline seperated)
(4) Composing Waveforms
These waveforms are the building blocks for the resulting waveform. Combine them in any way you like. If you want one waveform to not have an effect to the result, just set it to 0 amplitude, 0 DC offset and choose the add-operator.
- Select 1 of 5 different forms: sine, square, saw, triangle and seeded noise
- Operator button: Click to toggle between add, subtract, multiply, divide, min and max
(5) The Parameter Sliders
Here you may change the parameters for the connected waveform. Choices are frequency, phase, amplitude and dc offset.
- Click and hold knob to slide through the values
(6) The Preview
Here you will see all waveforms that you've set to "visible". The preview works with a resolution of 512 samples for that one cycle. When exporting in a different size, the exported waveform may look more or less detailed, depending on the export size. Also, the seeded noise is only consistent with the first value, when exporting to a different size.
(3) and (4) share the following buttons:
- Visibility, click to toggle the visibility in the preview on or off. Note: You may change parameters while a waveform is invisible.
- Color, click and hold to open the color palette and choose another color
The waveform editor comes with a selection of project files for you to explore.
Download: waveform editor.rar