I've started up solo development under a studio name of Jadelight Studio, and am currently working on a game called Libertas Aedifex. It's heavily influenced by games such as Elite, Freelancer and Wing Commander. Current progress is going well, with enemy AI, path-finding, combat and planetary landing already implemented, however there's still a lot of groundwork being developed before work can move onto other star systems.
- Top-down camera view, and your ship is controlled via holding left-click
- WASD movement for combat maneuvers
- 30+ explorable systems (and some hidden fringe systems you might be able to uncover if you're fortunate)
- 20 flyable ship types, ranging from fighters to gunboats, battleships and carriers (can launch small fighters for large skirmishes!)
- 24 laser types (7 base types, 24 including upgraded versions, including two prototype weapons
- 5 homing missile types, including one prototype (missiles are suited to anti-fighter engagement)
- 6 rocket launcher types (rockets are suited to medium ship engagement; these don't track targets but pack more punch than missiles and are just as fast)
- 4 torpedo launcher types, including one prototype (mountable to carrier-class ships and above, and suitable against very large ships. They'll also require a level of protection as the enemy can shoot them)
- 60 tradable goods to bring out your inner trader, and 15 contraband tradable goods for your inner smuggler
- 12 visitable planets and , each with commissioned artwork backdrops
- Balancing human needs - you need to buy food, water (*cough* or alcohol *cough*), have an official 'job' and pay taxes
- Buy an apartment, which acts as planet- or station-side storage for your items and credits
- Perma-death, so make sure you buy an apartment!
- Storyline- and side-missions
- Factions and friendly, neutral and hostile AI (which will try to dodge your shots), some with specific roles
- ... and you can... maybe... blow up a sun to wipe out a system when you eventually get enough firepower. But I won't be responsible for what happens, .
- Potential for more when development passes 50%!
Currently being developed:
- More commodities (need to think of 60 trade goods, ha ha)
- Currency system
- Planetary GUI system
- Planetary trade GUI (80% complete)
Screenshots (no planet-side imagery yet, as I'm waiting for late-October when the artist commission kicks in):
Overall status: 11% complete
How are you approaching development of the game?
I'm working on it in stages. I have a rather large development checklist and when I start to feel like something different, I'll pick another part of the checklist to work on.
How long have you been developing this for so far?
Since I returned to the Construct 2 forums, so... 12 days I think it's been. Hard to tell, I spend at least 12 hours a day working on various related efforts.
Will it be browser-based, or what platforms is it being developed for?
Currently I'm focussing only on Windows, but because it's being exported using Node-Webkit, there are possibilities for Mac and Linux releases. I think there are some issues with those exporting options if I recall correctly, so I'm not going to confirm that there will absolutely be versions for those platforms.
Will there be a demo?
Yes! When the main groundwork for planetary infrastructure and functionality, more NPC and AI functionality, player inventory and stash mechanic are fully implemented, it'll be closer to a demo release. I'm not going to give a specific date yet, though, .
Comments, suggestions and support are happily welcomed!