What size for mobile phone development?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!
  • I've never really thought about mobile development much and I don't know the screen sizes (guess what!? I don't even have a mobile phone! Such heretic!)

So what are the popular screen resolution sizes to develop in?

• I've never really thought about mobile development much and I don't know the screen sizes (guess what!? I don't even have a mobile phone! Such heretic!)

So what are the popular screen resolution sizes to develop in?

To achieve all phone support : 640px360p

Not sure but medium grade quality: 854x480

To achieve HD Gameplay but only for Mobile with HD Specs. : 1280px720p

• Hello,

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question. I'm not knowledgeable about phones at all, you see.

If, based on the optimal dimensions in the answer above, I create a game with a windows size 1280 * 720, how will that display on a medium grade quality (854 * 480) phone? Will it resize to the screen or will the game scroll off the phone's screen? Should I create three versions of my game to cover all eventualities?

Many thanks in advance

• Hello,

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question. I'm not knowledgeable about phones at all, you see.

If, based on the optimal dimensions in the answer above, I create a game with a windows size 1280 * 720, how will that display on a medium grade quality (854 * 480) phone? Will it resize to the screen or will the game scroll off the phone's screen? Should I create three versions of my game to cover all eventualities?

Many thanks in advance

It will look the way it is but it depends on your Fullscreen Mode. But if you are asking whether it will adjust or not, It will adjust so do not worry about the display. I would be worried about the performance of adding a HD (1280p*720p) game to a smaller scale because it tends to become slower and in worst case in scenario, it will not run, show seams between sprites or tiles and show blackscreen(If it doesn't have WebGL support). But it is unlikely if the Phone is (854*480) but it's specs is fine and most importantly it includes (Webgl support).

• There are a lot of different screen sizes and a few solutions

My favorite approach is to put everything into a safe zone (scale outer), but that only works for certain kind of games.

Most important if you can't go for safe zone you have to decide wich aspect ratio.

Important to read

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/73/sup ... reen-sizes

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1126/m ... le-devices

Here are some numbers you have to know.

Iphone 4 960x640 3:2 (this is the ideal starting point, becaue smallest for safezone)

Iphone 5 1136x640 16:9

Ipad 1024x768 4:3

the real 16:9 HD 1280x720 amd 1920x1080

and of course a lot of 16:10 Displays and some 5:3

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the answers guys.

I obviously want my game to look good on tablets and computers. Is there an emulator available that I can use to test the output on smaller displays? Are emulators even reliable guides?

In the old days of the web we had to worry about increases in monitor sizes and screen resolutions. 20 years later and nothing's changed. What a nightmare.

• The easiest way to check your design is in your Browser

Example in Chrome

hit F12 to go to developer mode

change your layout size with the small phone icon (ctrl + shift +M)

Now you can test different screen sizes / Phone models (eg. iPhone 4 Landscape)

But for the real test you have to export your project and work with e.g. phonegap / intel xdk

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)