Isometric multiple floors

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose the right answer for the shown equation.
  • Gearworkdragon

Various methods been mentioned in the thread.

But the whole idea is to support multiple floors in the same layout.

This can add more dimension and litterally extra depth to games.

• Gearworkdragon

Various methods been mentioned in the thread.

But the whole idea is to support multiple floors in the same layout.

> Gearworkdragon

>

> Various methods been mentioned in the thread.

>

> But the whole idea is to support multiple floors in the same layout.

>

> This can add more dimension and litterally extra depth to games.

>

This can add more dimension and litterally extra depth to games.

lennaert

Everade

Take a look into this, someone did a platform behavior that does object filtering by layers, maybe we can make our own collision filtering behaviour, using this as a base:

The Platform Behaviour modified by paco is outdated now because scirra added more functionality to the official platform plugin, but this one can be reworked =) good news.

• HEHE necro

Another option would be to have instead of solids, bounce off for each of the things and have a check.

Peer z= object z

this would mean that for each chair, stool and so on you would need a new event where you ask if the player/monster is overlapping an object and if the z's are equal.

• That's basically what lannaert used to reach this goal.

The problem is here that, bounce off triggers once it overlaps already.

So you actually bounce back and forth each tick...

It's not reliable when high velocity objects move towards walls.

And objects can be pushed through walls in multiplayer scenarios, when 2 players walk into each other for example.

This causes really unpredictable bugs.

I wasn't able to find an actual real solution until this date.

And the fact that Ashley and his team do not take care about further enhancements on the Multiplayer feature, i'm not sure if Construct is the place to be.

Especially not within an isometric/online multiplayer environment.

• Still searching for a solution, my further tests all ended up bad.

Would be awesome to have some experienced constructers working on this since Scirra doesn't work on Multiplayer.

(Solution for multiple floors within an online multiplayer scenario where individual players are able to not bump into solid objects while the others don't due the fact that they are moving on a different floor

Main issue being: Solid objects are only globaly set and can not be set individualy for each object.

• This thread brings back some memories ^_^

A simple basic filter approach could be; solid interaction when the objects in question are on the same layer.

• Still searching for a solution, my further tests all ended up bad.

Would be awesome to have some experienced constructers working on this since Scirra doesn't work on Multiplayer.

(Solution for multiple floors within an online multiplayer scenario where individual players are able to not bump into solid objects while the others don't due the fact that they are moving on a different floor

Main issue being: Solid objects are only globaly set and can not be set individualy for each object.

Won`t it possible to make custom pushout code for each so called "solid object" if player 2 is on floor 2 dont apply push, but player on floor 1 gets pushed out from objects.

Maybe this video series help you. That guy makes simple custom physics, there are multiple episodes.

Part 1 he makes simple dot to bounce , part 2 he compines and makes simple box with sticks adds physics and collision checks/push out. Maybe it gives you some ideas.

Part 1:

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • SnipG

Thanks for the tip, i've watched the video but i've no idea how that's supposed to help me.

I'm not a coder, that's why i'm here using Construct. ^^

So i won't be able to code my own push out behaviour.

The only thing i'm aware of is Rex's PushOut behaviour but that one relies on the official solid behaviour as well, which is the main issue here.

As long as solids are being globally handled i'm kinda lost.

If i would be able to code i would have created my own custom solid behaviour a long time ago (or something similiar).

lennaert

Were you ever able to get this to work?

From what i can remember your last version of the tank game used push out as soon as you've overlapped a non-solid object while at the same time activating the solid to prevent the player to walk through.

As long as the player was constantly touching the solid, other players were also coliding.

Somehow you got a workaround for that but there was a bug that as soon as the 2 players touched each other, the player who's supposed to be pushed back fell through.

Nethertheless there were always some kind of bugs which you also weren't able to fix.

Or were you actually able to get it to work in the end?

• I've created an example capx for those who're interested into taking a closer look at it.

It uses the following plugins:

rex_zSorter

rex_layer

In this particular case the enable and disable solid is even entirely broken and i can not explain why.

I worked on older Construct 2 versions from what i can remember.

Replacing the "Set solid Enabled / Disabled" (inside the Common Mechanics/ Solid Picking part) works just fine.

So i was able to simply move the objects instead for example.

Maybe it's just a smaller mistake i've created while testing all the time.

By walking over the red box you are being considered to be standing on floor 0 (ground)

By walking over the green box you are being considered to be standing on floor 1

• I haven't read all posts (sorry but I'm a bit tired now), but I would use different layers. When the player would overlap an object (last step on stair - the trigger sprite), the main gameplay layer would be invisible and the floor one would go visible. Want more depth? Make the floor layer visible with less than 30% opacity and a bit difference in parallax, like 2%.

Again, is just a thought, I can't and won't test it right now or for some time.

Hope it works

• Those are just details i'm currently not bothering about.

The problem is collisions within an online multiplayer environment when using multiple floors.

<-------------

PlayerA on floor 1 should not collide with objects from floor 0.

PlayerB on floor 0 should not collide with objects from floor 1.

------------->

• I made really fast something, not sure if it helps. It has no real z ordering and very simple collision that fails alot(floor 1 collision gets even worse but you could improve it (: ), but i think you get the basic idea.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B22kE ... 202TmlNazA

• Hi Everade!

I must have overlooked this thread previously since it seemed like you already had plenty of help, but I guess it was never resolved to satisfaction. I'm trying to get caught up here, let me know if I missed/misunderstood something.

Goal - You need objects to interact with solids conditionally in certain situations (different "floors").

Additional requirements - Within the same layout, due to multiplayer

Problem - Solids can only be set globally, also you cannot enable and disable them as needed in a multiplayer environmnent, as different players may be on different floors at any given time.

Attempted Solution - Custom solids/collision behavior, with conditionals based on y axis z order (not ideal, as isometric view causes much complication, or layers, which gives you pretty good control but you have to have a good method to switch layers.

New problem - Custom solids are hard to do correctly. Collisions and blocking movement not satisfactory, especially with high velocity/time discrepancy introduced in multiplayer, resulting in bouncing.

So assuming you're OK up to the layer system for logic defining who should be able to collide with what at any given time, the next step would be to set up a good collision system. The first thing that comes to mind for me is using SAT to prevent anything from overlapping to begin with, rather than colliding/overlapping first and then pushing your objects away which causes undesirable bouncing.

Ref: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tu ... amedev-169

Example: r0j0-039-s-experiments_t91829 (first one)

This would need to be applied on both the host side and the peer side. If applied to both consistently, neither host nor peer should see any discrepancies outside of normal lag/desync issues.

Basically, it comes full circle with your request to have the solid behavior allow for conditionals. If the official behavior doesn't support it, we'll need to build our own. While most of the other behaviors are pretty simple to recreate with events, solids have a lot more to take into consideration due to their interaction with a variety of different objects and behaviors. I'd be interested to see the logic behind how the official one is put together.

Sorry I don't have a working example, this is a bit complicated and beyond my ability to put together quickly.

• Thank you very much for the detailed analysis of my issue.

I took a closer look at the example given by R0J0hound

It looks much simpler than i thought.

This basically means that i would have to create this system for each of my players, enemies and anything else that can move and collide.

• oosyrag

I've just done some first tests using this custom collision system.

During my tests i kept bugging through the wall, so it does not really seem to be reliable in that particular case.

I'm also bouncing back and forth a lot.

And the player sprite also seems to move a little bit further than the actual coliding "Peer" if you keep moving towards an object "without bouncing back"

On the other hand i doubt that this custom solids is going to work with the pathfinder behaviour either.

Which means this would lead to an even much more complicated approach since i will have to code my own pathfinding system as well.

But thank you so much! It works already within a multiplayer environment using multiple floors!

I hope there are ways to further improve this custom solid system since the collision detection is not really as smooth as in the example.

Maybe because that one was made for circles ?

I'm not sure if this code is able to support all different kinds of shapes.

Here's the latest example capx:

(link removed)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)