Is it possible to use Firebase to set up Multiplayer

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A whole set you need to create a gorgeous winter 2d game
  • Hello, everyone :3

Is it possible to use Firebase to set up a multiplayer system? I'm making a multiplayer game and had some problems with the Multiplayer object and got no answers in here :/

Anyway, I'm using it to make the account system and it's working properly, but I'm asking myself what is possible to do with Firebase? What are its limits? If anyone with experience with it could answer me, I'd be very grateful ^^

• Rex has few plugs to set that up.

It probably won't be as fast as multiplayer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Rex has few plugs to set that up.

It probably won't be as fast as multiplayer.

I'm using his plugin :3 I'm having issues with the multiplayer and I don't know why. I tried a lot of things, but it keeps giving me the same issues: the sprite of the peer is created and destroyed infinitely, and the peer can't control the sprite, only watch the host move. I deleted all the multiplayer structure and am starting over. Besides it corrected some, it already presented some of the older bugs.

• Are you following the tutorial or are you trying to make your own system?

Have you completed the tutorial and understood each part? It is pretty critical that you understand the concepts in the multiplayer tutorials before building your own system - you won't get very far otherwise.

I mention this because generally speaking, it is not the multiplayer plugin that is buggy, and if you don't understand the concepts Firebase won't help you either... you'll find even less support here, and run into similar issues. Just trying to save you from some headache ahead of time.

From your general description, it sounds like you're possibly not associating peerID's correctly.

• Are you following the tutorial or are you trying to make your own system?

Have you completed the tutorial and understood each part? It is pretty critical that you understand the concepts in the multiplayer tutorials before building your own system - you won't get very far otherwise.

I mention this because generally speaking, it is not the multiplayer plugin that is buggy, and if you don't understand the concepts Firebase won't help you either... you'll find even less support here, and run into similar issues. Just trying to save you from some headache ahead of time.

From your general description, it sounds like you're possibly not associating peerID's correctly.

Yep. I read all the 4 tutorials and learned a lot from them. On my first try I "copied" it event by event, changing the necessary to my project. I'll put the images in the end of the post. I agree that it's not the plugin, I'm quite sure that's something that I'm doing wrong, but just know that's not the plugin doesn't help me at all :/

On this Event Sheet the problems are: the Sprite isn't created at random position, just on the same corner of the screen; It's behaviors are not activated and the other things on the container of the Sprite are not created; as the peer, the sprite keeps being created and destroyed, which makes it looks like it's flashing.

1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

3 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

4 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

5 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

I couldn't solve this problems so I decided to make a try by myself. I deleted all the multiplayer structure and tried to make it again, but only seeing the general structure of the thing, not copying it all. Now the Sprite is created at random and the other objects of the container are created as well; all the behaviors works properly; the only issue is that that only aplies to the host. The Sprite that the peer can see keeps "flashing" and it's not an actual controlable thing, it's just an image of what the host is doing with his Sprite, so the peer can't shoot or control it - just it's angle, but since the angle controls to where the Sprite goes and it's not afecting the movement as the peer, it's doing nothing. Here's mine structure:

1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzI4Lq ... sp=sharing

But before we proceed, please answer me something that isn't that clear to me: if I want to put the game on a dedicated or semi-dedicated server, I'll have to set my own signalling server, right? I know that Scirra made a signalling system and it's for sale if I want to buy it, but it's something that I must know since it'll cost something.

Anyway, I appreciate that you guys are trying to help me. This is something that I really like on the comunity.

• Before I dive into your screenshots, can you post a capx? A regular problem is hard enough to diagnose by screenshots, multiplayer is even harder.

A signalling server and a host are two completely different things. You normally would not need your own signalling server, as long as you think Scirra will exist/provide this service.

A dedicated host is generally what people think of when they think "server". You will need your own server and can be as simple as run your game 24/7 in a browser tab on that server to be a dedicated host.

• Before I dive into your screenshots, can you post a capx? A regular problem is hard enough to diagnose by screenshots, multiplayer is even harder.

A signalling server and a host are two completely different things. You normally would not need your own signalling server, as long as you think Scirra will exist/provide this service.

A dedicated host is generally what people think of when they think "server". You will need your own server and can be as simple as run your game 24/7 in a browser tab on that server to be a dedicated host.

Here it is. I don't have the .capx of the first try, since I deleted it to redo from zero.

Thanku :3

• Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Baby decided he wanted to pop out two weeks early

Have you made any progress? Also I couldn't open your capx right away, due to plugins that needed installing.

• Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Baby decided he wanted to pop out two weeks early

Have you made any progress? Also I couldn't open your capx right away, due to plugins that needed installing.

No problem ^^ Congrats! Hope you enjoyed your sleep nights LOL

I decided to give a time to this project to get some more experience, so I can do this correctly. I've a lot of ideias that I want to take out of paper. Thank you for your effort to help me :3

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)