edit: I just noticed that I hadn't seen that there was a page 2 for this post with some existing answers. Well here's another then...
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you want to arrange for the following:
1. A player can always pick up an item by tapping it.
2. A single tap that picks up an item won't activate a room.
3. If an item is sitting somewhere on a room , the player should be able to tap anywhere else on that room to activate the room without picking up the item.
Just to clarify #3, given a room with an item sitting on the northern half, a player should be able to tap the southern half of the room to activate the room without "touching" the item.
So, when the user taps,
you first check if the tap was on an item, and if it was, you then run the item pickup actions.
Or ELSE, (if the tap was NOT on an item),
then check if the tap was on a room, and if it was, you then run the room activation actions.
The events would look like this.
- - On touch:
- - Is touching object (item):
- (Place the actions for touching an item here.)
- - ELSE
- Is touching object (room):
- (Place the actions for touching a room here.)
Note that the "ELSE" and the "Is touching object (room)", are two conditions together in the same event.
To create an "ELSE" condition, select an event and press X to create an ELSE below it.
Or, right click an event (a whole event not just a condition) and choose Add > Add Else.
Hope that helps out.