Multiple Layers drops the FPS.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
320 high-quality cinematic sound effects for trailers and game scenes.
  • Have a look in the debugger and see whether the game is being rendered using webgl or canvas2d... It sounds like you are not getting hardware acceleration

• I thought I'd give it a test too just for more results.

With the layer: 60 fps, 11% cpu

Withou the layer: 60fps, 3% cpu

And adding more layers can slow it to a crawl.

The problem, however, is the actual debugger. Switch over to the "Watch" tab in the debugger instead of "Inspect". I can have 30 layers added onto your project and not exceed 1% CPU use. The Inspect tab keeps track of a lot of stuff. It's meant for really detailed display of everything going on under the hood, whereas Watch is a bit closer to an actual gameplay environment. I use Inspect to pick the variables and values I want to watch (with the eyeball) and then just check that stuff in Watch so not everything needs to be accounted for.

Fore reference, Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz, NVidia GT 640 4GB, 32 GB Ram. This was Chrome on Windows 10.

Hi,

I am using the free version, so checking in watch-tab is not possible.I will try it once I get it full version. So if its true,is it because of an issue in the debugger then.?

I am attaching a screenshot of the debugger report.

Link-h t t p s : / / w w w .dropbox.com/s/9g55o1lpghsfk8g/Report.PNG?dl=0

zenox98,

Here are my specs,

MY specs are Win7,CORE i5 2500K ,8 GB RAM,Nvidia GTX 560

• You can't click on Watch right there next to Inspect in the free version? Regardless, just make a text object that is updated to show fps and cpu utilization (both are system values) and skip the debugger all together. That will give you more realistic data. My game regularly uses 20+ layers, multiples of them with opacity/shaders/force own texture, all of the layers have a lot of images, and my performance is fine outside of the Inspect tab of the debugger (understandably so).

• You can't click on Watch right there next to Inspect in the free version? Regardless, just make a text object that is updated to show fps and cpu utilization (both are system values) and skip the debugger all together. That will give you more realistic data. My game regularly uses 20+ layers, multiples of them with opacity/shaders/force own texture, all of the layers have a lot of images, and my performance is fine outside of the Inspect tab of the debugger (understandably so).

Hi,

Yup no WATCH in free version.I tried displaying using text and I am getting the same result.Now I am having a doubt ,whether I have to change some setting some where or missed something at basic level.But others who tried this project have told be its works great.I tried this on two systems both the same result.The other PC spec is an intel machine with onboard graphic card while the first system spec is posted above.

Like i suggested before can someone replicate the same project on their system and send me?Like few sprites over different layers and I can test and cross verify.

Here is the link to the screenshot-h t t p s : / / w w w .dropbox.com/s/qtebzu8y4jxo5vh/report2.PNG?dl=0

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I circled it in your screenshot...

surely that does something. And I meant to run a regular preview with the text object showing you the actual numbers--don't run it in debug or of course you'll get the same numbers! There is nothing going wrong in your project. Either click on the Watch button I circled when you're viewing it in debug, or just preview it with the regular preview (F5 shortcut) and use your text object to show you your performance numbers.

• I circled it in your screenshot...

surely that does something. And I meant to run a regular preview with the text object showing you the actual numbers--don't run it in debug or of course you'll get the same numbers! There is nothing going wrong in your project. Either click on the Watch button I circled when you're viewing it in debug, or just preview it with the regular preview (F5 shortcut) and use your text object to show you your performance numbers.

Wow,Thank you.You were right ,it is normal, in ordinary preview with the text displaying the values.Problem solved and I will go on in using layers safely now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)