Good News, IE11 May support WebGL

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • I've got it and vs2013 installed now and am playing around with construct to see if ie11 plays nice with it.

No real issues here installing it just let it go.

• And as an update to this.

Using Construct2 135, one of my projects already created and on the store in win8 form, and visual studio 2013 i had the following results.

1) doing nothing just opening it in 2013 it ran fine and identical to on win8/ie10

2) upgrading the project to win8.1 in VS2013 (right click project and upgrade) allowed the project to run in ie11/win8.1 mode. This gave me full webgl/advanced audio support like on chrome. Resizing the tile on the start screen worked without issues since I had all the icons already in the project.

TLDR: YAY Microsoft, YAY Scirra, and YAY for Developers winning =)

• Whoo hoo! :D

• mmoDust - advanced audio support? Really? I haven't heard anything at all about IE11 supporting the Web Audio API.

• IE11 got 0/5 for the Web Audio API in ScirraMark? Also the rain demo crashes IE11 for me?

Edit -> I can get some basic tinting working, then it fails and reverts back. Also enabling WebGL gives me a 50% reduction in performance, and no noticeable performance increase in canvas performance on ARM. Pretty disappointed atm.

Getting the following errors with WebGL enabled:

WEBGL11095: INVALID_OPERATION: validateProgram: Method not currently supported

WEBGL11094: INVALID_OPERATION: texImage2D: Enum UNSIGNED_SHORT_4_4_4_4 is not currently supported

Edit-> For anyone trying to install Windows 8.1 on an English GB device, you'll have to reinstall Windows 8 and select a different language on install. I chose Dutch. Then you can install fine and change language after.

• IE11 got 0/5 for the Web Audio API in ScirraMark? Also the rain demo crashes IE11 for me?

Edit -> I can get some basic tinting working, then it fails and reverts back. Also enabling WebGL gives me a 50% reduction in performance, and no noticeable performance increase in canvas performance on ARM. Pretty disappointed atm.

Getting the following errors with WebGL enabled:

WEBGL11095: INVALID_OPERATION: validateProgram: Method not currently supported

WEBGL11094: INVALID_OPERATION: texImage2D: Enum UNSIGNED_SHORT_4_4_4_4 is not currently supported

Hmm... Disappointing. I'm hoping that it's just because it's new and it will improve, but I'm concerned first because of how long it takes ms to make major updates to ie, and also because of what was revealed here, that webgl support in ie 11 is not native and is converted to directx. Google and Firefox both do the same if webgl is not supported on the user's computer with ANGLE and claim it results in a performance hit. As such I kind of doubt ms's claim that they found a way to do it with no performance hit at all.

• mmoDust - advanced audio support? Really? I haven't heard anything at all about IE11 supporting the Web Audio API.

*sigh* sorry about that. I forgot I had changed the way I handled audio in my test and removed the advanced stuff and just used a db change so you can ignore the advanced audio working =(

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • thehen - I think WebGL is still a work in progress, and the errors look like they simply haven't finished it. I've also read they have a software fallback WebGL renderer, so if it crashes perhaps they blacklist your system and always use the software renderer which is slower. Both DirectX and OpenGL are designed to minimise the number of calls and CPU usage, so translation layers (be it ANGLE or something else) should have minimal effect on performance.

• Ashley yeah I figured as much. Those errors are logged every tick - any chance it's just that slowing down performance?

• Hard to say. But I definitely wouldn't draw any conclusions about performance until they've finished it.

• Tweet this guy: twitter.com/frankolivier

I asked about windows control support at the Build Conference. He is the one that gave the WebGL talk. Tweet him, email him, send him mail. He's the guy IE that does WebGL and Web Audio.

• Looks like they are basing some of the new features and products around WebGL with Windows 8.1. Microsoft to use WebGL for Bing Maps 3D

• This is a pleasant surprise, though I kinda wish they'd at least support Vista when the new IE comes out.

• If Vista has gone out of Mainstream support due to the Microsoft Support Cycle (Usually 7-11 years, I used to be in Support at Microsoft) then they will no longer put effort into adding more features to it. Also, not sure why anyone would be using Vista over Windows 7 at this point. Just saying, Windows 7 runs better on the same Hardware as Vista...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)