Failure to import mono WAV

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • Problem Description

The documentation (/manual/52/import-audio) and the instructions for importing audio say nothing about limitations on importing mono WAV audio. When I select a mono WAV file (8-bit OR 16-bit, signed PCM), to import, at first it has the green checkmark. Then when I click "import", it changes to a yellow warning and says "Converted to AAC, but failed to convert to OGG." When I convert the same file to stereo using Audacity, it imports fine.

Obviously it would be nice if Construct didn't choke on a mono wav file, but as a workaround it should at least give a more helpful error message and the instructions and documentation should be updated.

Attach a Capx

N/A, reproducible on a blank project

Description of Capx

N/A

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Open the "import audio" dialog
    • Select a 16-bit or 8-bit mono-format WAV file

Observed Result

Mysterious error message

Expected Result

Successful import, or more helpful error message and updated instructions

Affected Browsers

None

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 7 (64-bit) SP 1

Construct 2 Version ID

163 (64-bit)

• It is highly recommended to import PCM .wav files, since they are commonly supported and Construct 2 can encode them to both Ogg Vorbis and MPEG-4 AAC (only on Windows 7+).

https://www.scirra.com/manual/52/import-audio

PCM is a loseless WAV format. meaning it has all the raw data to do with it whatever you want, if the wav has already been in anyway compressed then your chances are it can't be manipulated anymore.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • As I said, the problem files that failed to import were PCM (8-bit OR 16-bit). The problem seemed to occur with mono-track sound.

• jonathancrosmer my bad =(

• You should attach the actual .wav file that fails to import so we can reproduce the problem. We probably still can't fix it though - we don't control the encoders we use so we can't change what formats they support. Usually files that fail to import use non-PCM encodings (A-law, u-law etc), unusually low or high sample rates (8 KHz, 96 KHz), or are extremely short (just a few ms - not sure why but the AAC encoder hangs on them :-\).

I'm sure if you import a 44.1 KHz stereo 16-bit PCM .wav which is not extremely short, then it should work. Otherwise just encode the .ogg and .m4a in some other software of your choice and import the resulting files.

• Np, Sargas.

Uploading a zip of two files. The "mono" version fails to import, but the "stereo" one succeeds. Construct recognizes both as 16-bit, 22kHz files.

I realize the encoding is done by an external library. If the library chokes on certain kinds of files though, it would be really nice to document the actual specifications. The mono file I uploaded seems to fit what you described, encoded 16-bit PCM with audio rate > 8 and < 96, as far as I can tell. Also, a better error message would be nice. As it was, I had a perfectly valid WAV file that appeared to fit the specification and failed to import with a mysterious message---not a good UX.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)