Is it possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' in C2?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Add calm and a lounge vibe to your games with these 8 tracks
  • Yes Ive noticed that Candy Box and A Dark Room often seem to be spoken of in the same sentence. Many people say the two are similar and they enjoyed both. I am currently playing Candy Box 2 to get feel for what that game is all about.

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it. I haven't played Candy Box 2 yet.

Thanks for those general pointers. I am very new to C2 so any general advice like that is appreciated.

Yes I totally intend to have a go at this and see what I can come up with. Soon Ill have time to sit down with C2 and put a couple of solid days into learning how to use it. Just madly trying to close out some client work first.

You're welcome! Sorry for being a bit vague with my general advice. If I do mess about with it myself, I will upload my .capx so you can see how I try to handle it.

I am also fairly new to C2, but about 2 months in I feel fairly confident with a lot of it already I have much more to learn, though.

• Artpunk -- I have never seen such a game -- very fascinating! -- I hope you take up the attempt in C2 (be prepared to learn a lot) ... it would be a fun project, and I would be interested in it's development.

• You're welcome! Sorry for being a bit vague with my general advice. If I do mess about with it myself, I will upload my .capx so you can see how I try to handle it.

I am also fairly new to C2, but about 2 months in I feel fairly confident with a lot of it already I have much more to learn, though.

No no, your not being vague. I wasn' being critical. Any pointers/advice are appreciated whether its general/conceptual info about how to approach a project, or specific examples. Any input at all is a help at this stage

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Artpunk -- I have never seen such a game -- very fascinating! -- I hope you take up the attempt in C2 (be prepared to learn a lot) ... it would be a fun project, and I would be interested in it's development.

It is an interesting game. It certainly drew me in. At the moment Im just think about the concept and theme for a similar type of game.

• To answer your question about why are the so called "Idle games" so appealing is actually pretty easy. I think even Extra Credits did an episode on youtube about the toppic.

Games like these are pretty much created in order to scratch our "itch for multitasking" since they require minimal effort to play yet those increasing numbers still give us the satisfying feeling of making a progress. I know I was put off by the candy box since all I saw was a number and a button. But then I gave it another chance later on and the game started unfolding itself revealing more and more elements to it. It's actually interesting concept which you don't see very often.

And already there are examples of what people could do with it. To name a few, Candy Box, Candy Box 2 and Dark room added the "coffeebreak roguelike" aspects as they added the story and exploring with loot and so on. Then there is Cookie Clicker which got me hooked even though it's just about generating more and more cookies per second to buy more and more expensive upgrades that will help you generate even more cookies per second.

The guys behind cookie clicker even teamed up with adventure quest and made a game where you generate gems which you use to raise a dragons.

To answer your second question, yes it is possible to create such a game with C2. Since it's all about math, all you need is a loop and couple of variables that'd interact with each other. (Base cookies per second, some multipliers, things that'd add or deduct from the cookie bank, and events which would check whether certain cookie count was reached in order to "enable" more features for the unfolding effect).

I think there are few things to watch out for in terms of memory and CPU usage since without careful optimisation it could get out of the hand pretty fast.

• Would it be possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' in Construct 2?

I think this kind of game is called an 'incremental game' or 'idle game'. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game)

you can find a template i made for people who wants cookie clicker clones/adventure capitalist/hero clicker/ type of games you can find it here http://www.scirra.com/store/games-with- ... mplate-704 its still a work in progress but if you have knowledge of c2 events you could work on it. il update it very soon for a better easy way of using it.

• it be possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' sure is

• > Would it be possible to make a game like 'A Dark Room' in Construct 2?

>

> I think this kind of game is called an 'incremental game' or 'idle game'. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game)

>

you can find a template i made for people who wants cookie clicker clones/adventure capitalist/hero clicker/ type of games you can find it here http://www.scirra.com/store/games-with- ... mplate-704 its still a work in progress but if you have knowledge of c2 events you could work on it. il update it very soon for a better easy way of using it.

Cool thanks for that. Ill check it out when I get a chance. I still have ideas around making this kind of game.

• Far as I know answer to your question is YES, YES and yes

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)