Your Ideas for a Great Horror Game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A fun horror zombie game you can upload to your website
  • My idea for a horror game is bring back mechanics from the past such as limited item inventory and tank controls and see how they fit into a modern game setting.

Seriously. First-Person and Over-The-Shoulder have been done to death these days.

And speaking of horror...

• I like search and escape games with a good jump scare thrown in and a story to follow.

Not much scares me- except- clowns!!!

• A strange tensed ambiance where you know something is wrong. Silence for a long time then a weird scream.

Something with trypophobia (link to a picture to avoid the disturbance: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK13CDoVAAA1PxF.jpg)

For the jump scares you can watch let's play to imitate what works the best.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey guys.

I found something to inspire you for your horror game:

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • And just to add another layer to this topic, (just because I didn't wanna start a new topic that's so similar to this one) what makes for good horror these days? Like what is it that stands out as unique against the rest? So much has been done at this point.

Is it jump scares? Strange imagery? The mere possibility of a threat without there ever actually being a threat? I've noticed what I call "minimalist horror" seems to get a lot of attention lately.

• And just to add another layer to this topic, (just because I didn't wanna start a new topic that's so similar to this one) what makes for good horror these days? Like what is it that stands out as unique against the rest? So much has been done at this point.

Is it jump scares? Strange imagery? The mere possibility of a threat without there ever actually being a threat? I've noticed what I call "minimalist horror" seems to get a lot of attention lately.

Well the old SH games set the bar for psychological and plain horror combined and still hold up today story and atmospherewise but no longer gameplaywise. I love these games and one of them is in my top 5 for sure.

But a 'good' horror these days is associated with how many Youtubers/ Tvitch streamers play your game, as long as you managed to make them scream (even fake screams count) then you're good because that's t least enough to get a percent of their viewers trying your game. I mean why bother building a world and writing an associated lore with it if you're only going to get 100 players at most.

Go for the cheap scares route. You only need to work on graphics and searching for the best open source scream audio.

• The movie SAW is a good example of horror that works.

You have limited time to figure out a way to escape and with each attempt it triggers something to happen that might make it better or worse.

The suspense and anticipation and dread of making the wrong decision and dying is what horrifies people I think.

• MPPlantOfficial Maybe I meant "good" from a perspective of good taste. Not from what's popular with the bottom of the barrel, being Youtubers and other streamers. We all know they're just performers that act a fool on camera to get their views and revenue. And many of them are actually paid by the devs to play their games and make a show of it. It has become legitimate business, but still does not equate to what defines good horror. I get what you're saying though.

lamar That is true. The tension does make for a more interesting situation. Even more so since you are in control of how tense things may or may not get. So when things go wrong it's because you made t happen. I like that!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)