How do I save in firebase only when the score is greater than or equal to the best score?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • I am trying to make a leaderboard using firebase as the database. It already saves a username and a score in the database, using these ajax parameters:

I don't want it to save when it has a lower score; only save when it is a score greater than or equal to the best score

How can I do this? Thanks for your help.

• thanks for your answer but i am not using mysql or php

• You are, just not wittingly.

Have you considered just getting the high score value on the start of the layout, loading it as a variable, and if your user surpasses that value, update via the ajax call? (you could even check/retrieve it prior to a post if you wanted to get really picky)

I'm not super familiar with firebase's setup, but a stored value is a stored value.

• Use the Security Rules to do that

Something like this-

{

".read":true,

"$username":{

".write":  "newData.child('score').val()  >  data.child('score').val()"

}

}

Allow writes only when New Data Value is greater than Current Data Value.

The dollar symbol "$" means a wildcard location.

Read more about rules: firebase.google.com/docs/reference/security/database

• Hi Sparsha!! Thanks for your answer

I tried the code and if it works, but now the problem is that it only allows writing if there is previously a record in the database, if you try to save a new record, it does not allow saving nothing. I'm reading the information about the rules and trying to test variants but still can't get it to save new users.

• Oops, forgot sorry, try this-

{

".read":true,

"$username":{

".write":  "!data.exists()  ||  (newData.child('score').val()  >  data.child('score').val())"

}

}

Now this allows either if no data exists or if the new data > old data

• Sparsha you are the master!!

I tried the code and it works!!

Now save new records and update only if the score is higher. Thank you very much for your help.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I found an error, and it is that it does not allow to save beyond the number 9, if the score reaches 10 or more, these scores are not saved.

• Make sure your score is an integer and not a string

• Yes, the score is stored in a variable type number and the username in a variable string. These are the images:

Layout 1

Layout 2

Firebase rules

• You have got some extra double-quotes " " which convert your integer to string.

Make it like this: "{ ""score"": " & scoreVariable & "}"

Have a look at your Database Console. This is what a Number VS String looks like. Notice the double-quotes " "

• I tried it and it works correctly!!

I am very grateful to you for the help.

• Good morning! Could you post an example file to make a leaderboard in firebase? or tell me please what video tutorial I can learn to do as you do? I want to add a leaderboard in my game and I would like to do it with firebase. Thank you very much in advance!

• Hi, I am learning about how to save in firebase and what I have achieved has been watching tutorials found here in the forum and asking, as in this case. What I have is the way to save the data and that it is only saved if the score is higher, I am investigating how to display that data. But if it helps you, I have this file with what I have learned so far.

https://www21.zippyshare.com/v/7sgQrbGI/file.html

Also, Sparsha has some excellent plugins:

https://www.constructfirebase.com/

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)