Ideas on how to create a 2D clay-like object?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hi everyone!

I'm currently trying to make a mobile game where you can mold a 2D piece of clay. The idea is that you start with a blob and have to mold them with touch gestures into specific shapes. Below I'm sharing some concept images of how the mechanic is meant to work.

I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how to implement this. The clay will only be able to be controlled from certain points, so one idea I had was to draw the shapes as splines with anchors and control handles (basically how Illustrator's pen tool works), but I'm not sure if this is possible in Construct. Maybe some solution involving physics and joints might be better?

• My first thought is metaballs ref:http://jamie-wong.com/2014/08/19/metaballs-and-marching-squares/

Second thought is you might be able to draw with splines with R0j0's paster plugin, but I haven't used it so I don't actually know.

Thirdly, You can definitely do curved lines with "handles" using the built in quarp and cubic expressions, but I have no idea how you'll get enclosed, filled shapes from there.

• That looks like a really interesting read, thanks! I'll look into the Paster plugin.

• Yeah, Paster maybe, but I don't think it's available in the C3 runtime, plus its just deformed quads.

Although it would work well for "pasting" objects together into one object.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also here is a simple way to implement metaballs in Construct - scirra.com/tutorials/813/how-to-make-fluids. I imagine if you used a larger number of small metaballs that didn't "flow", you could get a decent deformable blobby sort of result.

Edit: The effect used is built in C3 and called "AlphaClamp"

• Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial oosyarg, will be trying out the different alternatives to see what fits my game best :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)