Are we getting a zero coding plugin engine?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
“Zero Numbers” is a logic game. Game with Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported
  • Hi there.

Either I had a dream about it or it was mentioned here before. Is there a plan to make plugins a zero coding process or at least make the process easier?

• Probably a dream, unless you read some plugin request, but i doubt is anywhere near to completion or even in sketches, thing is it always going to be the need of manual coding.

There is a C2 to C3 -c2runtime plugin convertor but that still requires some knowledge and manual labour at minimum.

However would be nice to have a visual scripter, for creating plugins or behaviors similar to Construct way, imagine how many plugins can be made ^_^.

• mammoth

Hi there.

Either I had a dream about it or it was mentioned here before. Is there a plan to make plugins a zero coding process or at least make the process easier?

Hello. You weren't dreaming, it was mentioned and promised back when Construct 3 was still new and early.

Reference : construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/news-about-creating-plugins-in-130391

But based on Construct 3's past updates and feature additions, this type of feature is nowhere near the others and the promise is too far-fetched for the Construct Team, retrospectively saying.

Time will tell, they might implement this but this might still take them a while or might not even be implemented, so don't hold your breath. 😉

This reminds of the Configuration option on Construct 2, this is similar to Export Native Modules but Scirra didn't finish or wasn't able to implement, the feature. Although it was ever ready in Construct 2's design. I'm not sure if was promised though similar to the Event Sheet based addon creator.

But we do have references for it:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/general-discussion-17/where-can-i-find-info-about-th-43183

scirra.com/manual/50/add-configuration

My point is just, we can start worrying about this after Construct 3 Runtime is stable. Because, this might really take a while.

I hope that helps.

• I think the hard part is getting the custom edit-time plugs to jive with the runtime.

Just look at what people have to do to create plugs using the sdk.

• I think what was mentioned was modular events. They had feature poll back in the day mentioning it, and more recently there was a blog post mentioning is as an idea. Using that to make plugins was also thrown around. I don’t think any of this is fleshed out though.

Most plugins that interface with some third party JavaScript library would probably not benefit from it.

You can already do somewhat modular events now but it’s very tied in to the project usually.

If it ever becomes a thing I think it won’t be soon.

• Probably a dream, unless you read some plugin request, but i doubt is anywhere near to completion or even in sketches, thing is it always going to be the need of manual coding.

There is a C2 to C3 -c2runtime plugin convertor but that still requires some knowledge and manual labour at minimum.

However would be nice to have a visual scripter, for creating plugins or behaviors similar to Construct way, imagine how many plugins can be made ^_^.

It was actually a "maybe" feature for Construct 2, that is now advertised as a potential of the Construct 3 runtime: construct.net/en/blogs/construct-official-blog-1/the-future-of-the-construct-3-runtime-884

called "modular events"

Edit: Wow that time I spent searching was enough for a few people to reply, it seems :o

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It was actually a "maybe" feature for Construct 2, that is now advertised as a potential of the Construct 3 runtime: construct.net/en/blogs/construct-official-blog-1/the-future-of-the-construct-3-runtime-884

called "modular events"

Edit: Wow that time I spent searching was enough for a few people to reply, it seems :o

Yea i was checking your reply then all that links and replies towards what was actually said about it came up, it's amazing, i guess i skipped the blog reading on this one. need to subscribe to the blog news ^_^. But is probably one of those features that will take place or not, as making plugins from different js libraries or other languages, needs a huge database of interpretation programming... and i doubt that is something that is needed right now. As you said also, it's a possibility.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)