[SUGGESTION] Create audio list with C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • >

> I've only tried this with the audio preloaded into memory. I'm not sure if streaming it (ie, putting it in the "Music" folder in C2) will have an effect. I put everything in the "Sounds" folder, personally, and just preload everything I need.

>

Now that you can unload sounds it's less of a problem but still.. you need to be careful here.. loading music fully into memory can take up a lot of space quick! If I remember correctly audio is uncompressed in memory so your 8MB song can easily be 80MB in memory. Add a handful more tracks and suddenly your footprint is half a GB... and that's no good.

You're not thinking realistically about it. Uncompressed audio is about 10 MB per minute. Your scenario implies loading in nearly an hour of music at once, which is more than many games have for music in their entire soundtrack. In actual practice, particularly with interactive music, you'd never load in more than a couple minutes of music (15-30 MB) at a time, and you totally get more mileage out of less audio content with interactive music. This also is loaded into system memory and not vram, which most PCs have tons of. Even on mobile, which is quite limited, it's not even close to being an issue. Even before the ability to unload it was barely a problem in nearly all cases, but now it isn't at all.

• Your scenario implies loading in nearly an hour of music at once, which is more than many games have for music in their entire soundtrack. In actual practice, particularly with interactive music, you'd never load in more than a couple minutes of music (15-30 MB) at a time, and you totally get more mileage out of less audio content with interactive music.

I once wrote and produced 30 minutes of music for a small little game. if that music was not streamed they would have had serious memory issues - they simply would not have been able to do it with the graphics they had. All I'm saying is to anyone reading this is the same thing that is in https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory - and even though it does not mention audio per say, I think at the time of writing it was not conceived of a reason for music to be read into memory.

also check out games like Undertale or Lisa.. crazy amounts of music

https://widdly2diddly.bandcamp.com/releases

EDIT: People want to make music games with C2. and look at the problems that KLANG had... it's just a friendly warning!

• >

> Your scenario implies loading in nearly an hour of music at once, which is more than many games have for music in their entire soundtrack. In actual practice, particularly with interactive music, you'd never load in more than a couple minutes of music (15-30 MB) at a time, and you totally get more mileage out of less audio content with interactive music.

>

I once wrote and produced 30 minutes of music for a small little game. if that music was not streamed they would have had serious memory issues - they simply would not have been able to do it with the graphics they had. All I'm saying is to anyone reading this is the same thing that is in https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory - and even though it does not mention audio per say, I think at the time of writing it was not conceived of a reason for music to be read into memory.

EDIT: People want to make music games with C2. and look at the problems that KLANG had... it's just a friendly warning!

It's not worth arguing, that isn't the point of the thread. But my point is the developers would've been morons to load all 30 minutes in at once. The total amount of music for the project is irrelevant as of now. For instant playback of interactive music, the best bet is always loading what you need into memory. If you're just playing basic loops or tracks to play through, sample-accurate playback time isn't important and streaming is fine.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C-7 who's arguing? I'm saying be careful with reading that much data into memory. period. are you actually arguing to NOT be prudent? If so, that's terrible advice.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)