[WIP] Etrian Odyssey x Paper Mario

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Choose the winner correctly and earn as much score as you can!
  • Subscribe to Construct videos now

I'm trying to combine elements from a bunch of games to make my dream RPG.

You explore dungeons in the old-fashioned, tile-based way, with random encounters.

Combat at its core is Dragon Quest's "pick commands and watch everything play out (hopefully) as you intended".

There are lots of Ailments to pester either side, Priority moves that make you act sooner or later and Shin Megami Tensei's stackable Buffs/Debuffs to snowball your way to victory.

The Etrian Odyssey twist is that you'll come across lots of gimmicks/puzzles and/or wandering monsters that should be avoided and still move while you fight other enemies.

Besides its single-digit values, classic Paper Mario's Badge system is also present, allowing you to equip new skills for use in battle, using points gained from leveling up.

Skills come in three flavors :

-Active Skills : the attacking, defensive or support options you'll use in battle ;

-Passive Skills : a variety of special effects that will help you out in battle ;

-Soul Skills : same as Passives, but every playable character has their own.

Monsters also use skills, so keep an eye out for their crazier Passives that'll put you to sleep when you kill them, mitigate the first hit taken, give them more turns and so on...

... man, I hope I'll be able to finish this and make it every bit as awesome as it is in my mind! xD

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Salut j'ai remarqué que tu avais fait pas mal de prototypes en plus de celui-ci. Ce serait possible de les tester ? (j'adore les Mario RPG)

Hi I noticed you made quite a few prototypes besides this one. Would it be possible to test them? (I love Mario RPGs)

• No, unfortunately, sorry. And all the prototypes became either this one or the platformer. I haven't got anything done yet enough for people other than me to have fun.

If you're craving Mario RPGs, I recommend Bug Fables. It's on Switch, PC and the rest, I believe. If you can tolerate the "indie game not as clean as AAA" side, it's a hell of a game with a lot of content, I liked it enough that I no longer felt the need to do a Paper Mario myself! There is no French version, however.

Otherwise, I have another video a little more advanced than the one before.

Non, malheureusement, désolé. Et tous les prototypes sont devenus soit celui-ci, soit le jeu de plateforme. Je n'ai encore rien d'assez abouti pour que d'autres personnes que moi puissent s'amuser.

Si tu es en manque de RPG Mario, je recommande Bug Fables. C'est sur Switch, PC et le reste, je crois. Si tu peux tolérer le côté "jeu indépendant pas aussi propre qu'un AAA", c'est un sacré petit jeu avec pas mal de contenu, il m'a plu suffisamment pour que je n'éprouve plus le besoin de faire un Paper Mario moi-même ! Il n'y a pas de version française, par contre.

Sinon, j'ai une autre vidéo un tout petit peu plus avancée que celle d'avant.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Oui je connais Bug Fables, au début j'étais repoussé par les graphismes mais j'en ai entendu beaucoup de bien depuis. Je pense que je le ferais bientôt.

Sinon c'est dommage pour les proto je les trouvais vraiment impressionnant ! (avec les petits graphismes mignons qui passent bien)

Y'aurais même pas moyen d'avoir le code sources d'ancienne version ? J'aimerais vraiment l'analyser car le rendu est très proche de ce que j'aimerais essayer de reproduire.

Yes I know Bug Fables, at first I was repelled by the graphics but I've heard a lot of good since. I think I would play soon.

Otherwise it's a shame for the prototypes I found them really impressive!

Wouldn't there even be a way to get the old version source code? I would really like to analyze it because the rendering is very close to what I would like to try to reproduce.

• It's true that looking at it, I miss my old Pixel Mario a bit! One day I will have to try this style again.

But everything went by the wayside, except the sprites, again sorry. Is there something in particular that gives you trouble?

C'est vrai qu'en le regardant, mon vieux Pixel Mario me manque un peu ! Faudra qu'un jour je retente ce style-là.

Mais tout est passé à la trappe, sauf les sprites, encore désolé. Est-ce qu'il y a un truc qui te donne du mal en particulier ?

• Je n'ai pas encore commencé à faire le RPG (j'ai juste envie de reproduire vite fait un paper Mario). Je pense pas encore avoir le niveau pour produire un résultat qui me plaise vraiment.

Mais en regardant tes vidéos de gameplay je me suis posé 2, 3 questions comme :

- comment faire des menus tournants ?

- comment calculer les trajectoires de saut lors des animations ?

Tant pis pour les proto merci quand même. (Fais des saves les prochaines fois sa mange pas de pain et c'est toujours sympa à avoir sous la main :D)

I haven't started doing the RPG yet (I just want to quickly reproduce a Mario paper). I don't think I have the level yet to produce a result that I really like.

But while watching your gameplay videos I asked myself 2, 3 questions like:

- how to make rotating menus?

- how to calculate the jump trajectories during the animations?

Too bad for the prototypes, thank you anyway.

• For rotating menus, I attached icons (via the Pin Behavior) to invisible bars which had the Interpolation Behavior to change size, angle ...

The menus themselves, moreover, I put the information in a Dictionary (Name, description ...), in keys (0_Name, 0_Description, 1_Name ...). Then, via a Variable which represents the position of the cursor, I access the information. Gender:

Dictionary.get (Variable & "_ Name") which gives you "Inventory";

Dictionary.get (Variable & "_ Description") which gives you "Use an object".

You can combine these things and when the Variable is, for example, at 2, then bar 2 goes to the right angle, the attached icon lights up and you get the value of the "2_Name" key and all...

Tables can replace Dictionaries, too. It's the same idea, more or less. The execution is different, however.

There is a System Expression: distance (x1, y1, x2, y2), to calculate the distance between two coordinates (x1, y1 and x2, y2). You can combine that with other tips to make a cleaner jump bow and so on ...

... Good luck.

Pour les menus tournants, j'attachais des icônes (via le Comportement Épingle) à des barres invisibles qui, elles, avaient le Comportement Interpolation pour changer de taille, d'angle...

Les menus eux-mêmes d'ailleurs, je mets les informations dans un Dictionnaire (Nom, description...), dans des clés (0_Nom, 0_Description, 1_Nom...). Après, via une Variable qui représente la position du curseur, j'accède aux informations. Genre :

Dictionnaire.get(Variable&"_Nom") qui te donne "Inventaire" ;

Dictionnaire.get(Variable&"_Description") qui te donne "Utiliser un objet".

Tu peux combiner ces trucs-là et quand la Variable est, par exemple, à 2, alors la barre n°2 se met au bon angle, l'icône attachée s'allume et tu récupères la valeur de la clé "2_Nom" et tout...

Les Tableaux peuvent remplacer les Dictionnaires, aussi. C'est la même idée, plus ou moins. L'exécution est différente par contre.

Il y a une Expression Système : distance(x1,y1,x2,y2), pour calculer la distance entre deux coordonnées (x1,y1 et x2,y2). Tu peux combiner ça avec d'autres trucs pour faire un arc de saut plus propre et ainsi de suite...

... Bon courage.

;)

• add an english traduction to your messages before the admins warn you !!!

I got a little too excited over finally getting a comment on here, sorry about that.

Sorry I noticed he spoke French I just thought it would be easier to communicate like that.

• As Eleanor said, this is an English language forum guys, your posts should be in English going forward please.

• As Eleanor said, this is an English language forum guys, your posts should be in English going forward please.

I understand, this won't happen again. Sorry for the trouble.

• Merci pour toute ces info !

Je sais que je suis un peu chiant mais peux-tu m'expliquer plus en détaille comment tu crée cet effet de rotation avec tween ? C'est la seule chose que je n'arrive pas faire.

(j'ai essayé de le reproduire avec la behaviors orbit mais j'ai un problème d'offset)

Thanks for all this info!

I know I'm a bit annoying but can you explain to me in more detail how you create this spinning effect with tween? It's the only thing I can't do.

(I tried to reproduce it with the behaviors orbit but I have an offset problem)

• No problem, it's fine.

I was having issues remembering how I did it exactly, so I made a quick example project. There's a LOT of room for optimisation, but it should get the general idea across.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci2djkrsabnopfk/CIrcle%20Menu.c3p?dl=0

• Merci beaucoup cet exemple ! Il m'a bien aidée et après quelques modifs il marche parfaitement. :D

La technique est un peu bizarre je pense pas que j'y aurais pensé.

Merci encore d'avoir pris le temps de m'expliquer c'est vraiment très sympa de ta part.

Thank you for this example! It helped me a lot and after a few modifications it works perfectly. :D

The technique is a little weird I don't think I would have thought of it.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain to me.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)