How do I work with isometric multi size sprites on a map to work with C3?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Retro Weapon Sprites suited for classic style RPG games.
  • Hi folks,

How can I work with sprite tiles of different sizes when creating a map?

Using these free sprites (https://pvgames.itch.io/infernus-tileset I want to create a map in C3.

(I have many sets from these folks, so manually editing them all isn't practical)

Tiled: Works great, but doesn't allow for collection of images in C3, it only allows for spritesheets. These sprites are individual. (Loading them into TexturePacker doesn't work as it centralizes all of them which throws off the isometric). So Tiled can't be used.

C3 Editor: Works ok for free floating placement of isometric tiles, except its a nightmare to draw the map when its literally pixel specific.

C3 Editor: When I enable Snap to Grid and change the grid size, I can't get the sprites to line up properly (probably because many have different heights/widths.

Any thoughts?

Tagged:

• My personal opinion is that if you can't do a set tile size for isometric in Construct, then it's not worth the effort.

That being said it is doable.

Also there's nothing wrong with using static images instead of Tilemaps.

There's also nothing wrong with using Sprites instead Tilemaps.

Or mixing them...

• Hi there, maybe this tutorial may help you.

construct.net/en/tutorials/basic-isometric-projection-753

Also I agree with Newt, in some cases there's really nothing wrong with using sprites instead of tilemaps, but it might get out of hand depending on your project size, so just be mindful.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • My personal opinion is that if you can't do a set tile size for isometric in Construct, then it's not worth the effort.

That being said it is doable.

Also there's nothing wrong with using static images instead of Tilemaps.

There's also nothing wrong with using Sprites instead Tilemaps.

Or mixing them...

I'm leaning towards using a static image for 'floor', and then sprites for drawing the map, since I can then use collision to handle where I can/cannot go. Thats how I did my first prototype and it worked well, but then it IS very tedious trying to place the sprites (copy/paste becomes my friend).

I was hoping that someone else had picked up a better way of doing it since Tiled does it so easily.

My only other thought has been to read/process the TMX file manually and process it. I suspect however, if it were that easy it would have been part of the Tilemap process already...

Thanks for the input.

dupuqub, thanks for the post. I've used tile replacement techniques like this before, appreciate the link.

• Make level editor within your game to make level making easy (or by itself)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)