Should there be Quality Control in the Scirra Arcade?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
10 Royalty free music tracks for your indie games and projects.
  • We should also have a stinkers category for Construct 2 plugins that don't work...The "official" Google play services plugin hasn't worked for almost 2 years!! Then we can worry more about the quality of scirra's Arcade submissions....

• The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

Perhaps some sort of "Testing / Experimenting" category would be the best way to go, since that's what most of those crappy games are, just someone testing something. Sometimes just testing the Arcade itself, really.

And having that category ticked by default when someone uploads something may be a good idea too.

I posted a kinda crappy game myself, to be honest, and I think it should not be competing in space with the more robust projects. I would use that "testing" category if there was one.

• The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

Perhaps some sort of "Testing / Experimenting" category would be the best way to go, since that's what most of those crappy games are, just someone testing something. Sometimes just testing the Arcade itself, really.

And having that category ticked by default when someone uploads something may be a good idea too.

I posted a kinda crappy game myself, to be honest, and I think it should not be competing in space with the more robust projects. I would use that "testing" category if there was one.

i like the idea... but its not something new... is been like this for years... and probably wont change.

the system that could be followed is the newgrounds process... they have a very effective way of sorting low quality games from example/tutorials/and good games.

but who has time for arcade page? its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

but i do agree with you with the sorting of games.

• We should also have a stinkers category for Construct 2 plugins that don't work...The "official" Google play services plugin hasn't worked for almost 2 years!! Then we can worry more about the quality of scirra's Arcade submissions....

+1

• > The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

>

> Perhaps some sort of "Testing / Experimenting" category would be the best way to go, since that's what most of those crappy games are, just someone testing something. Sometimes just testing the Arcade itself, really.

>

> And having that category ticked by default when someone uploads something may be a good idea too.

>

> I posted a kinda crappy game myself, to be honest, and I think it should not be competing in space with the more robust projects. I would use that "testing" category if there was one.

>

i like the idea... but its not something new... is been like this for years... and probably wont change.

the system that could be followed is the newgrounds process... they have a very effective way of sorting low quality games from example/tutorials/and good games.

but who has time for arcade page? its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

but i do agree with you with the sorting of games.

That is the direction I was heading with my arcade website to take just the best of the best Scirra arcade games and make a dedicated arcade to showcase those game but then the Scirra arcade crashed and every game threw a 404 error and I had to relink them and now CAPX files don't even work in the Scirra arcade.

I have also tried to get them to remove their large ad on the load screen so visitors can see the game not the same Scirrra ad on every game but Ashley doesn't seem to think the games are what attracts people to the engine apparently. They could do a small ad and have the same effect.

Anyway, there are other arcades out there and Scirra isn't the only engine in town and and if they can't adapt to a changing market I guess they will learn the hard way.

Added: The other thing I have suggested is monthly game Jams to attract the best developers and if you look at many of the top games on Scirra arcade they were made for a Jam somewhere. Offer some free C2 and C3 licenses and cheap prizes like a Scirra T-shirt as prizes to attract people and developers will always flock to a good Jam.

• > ...so I am now publishing on Itchio, Kongregate and other arcades because I don't feel the Scirra arcade is helping promote our games and has some unresolved server issues with CAPX files and loads get screwed up leaving my games in 404 limbo.

>

While I agree with most of your points I understand why they wouldn't want to implement Ads anyway.

Even if there were ads you would still need to have at least 100 visitors to accidentally click on them to be able to get what? $0.03?

I wrote a tutorial today explaining how game developers can make a lot more than 3 cents a click off banner ads you might be interested in:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9447/how-to-integrate-amazon-associate-ads-into-your-games

• lamar i think tom announced or ashley ... not sure which i read something quick yesterday, in a post they did, they will take care of arcade, and have a lot of ideas how could it be developed, but at the time their focus is on C3 release and development!

i see your point, but then someone said above, i think if not in another post, easiest would be to create a arcade page and let people submit their games and then u could sort them based on quality.

i had this arcade thing going a few years back i was using arcadebooster website suite, its very effective, simple and beautiful, plus if u know some mysql and html5 u could turn the free theme in a gem.

however then would come the problem of mass marketing or pitching the idea to C2 developers or game developers in general, but at that point you would make another gaming portal. so are benefits and struggles on both parts.

P.S

for now personally im just taking a break from C2 till all C3 arrives. (has some features that make more sense, but there are downsides to it also, probably,and im not talking about payment system here, more about compatibility of C2 community developed plugins and C3 support/transition.)

P.P.S

just a idea, the best C2 arcade games, are also available or posted on newgrounds and kongregate just embed them from there.

Edited: wow nice tutorial! im intrigued and slowly pushed back into the gaming portal hahaha... for some reason(i guess was fun tweaking at it all day and micromanaging it).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Edited: wow nice tutorial! im intrigued and slowly pushed back into the gaming portal hahaha... for some reason(i guess was fun tweaking at it all day and micromanaging it).

Thanks- that is just one new way I have found for increasing revenue and works well and next is integrating my youtube channel videos that have advertising that brings in a lot more than any click banner or even Amazon ads.

The best thing about Amazon and Youtube is I am not sharing any of my revenue with another 3rd party source like AdMobs and I can direct them to my own website and store for viewing and sell my games directly through my games using my Paypal mobile buttons.

No more relying on Cocoon and other apps to make money and much easier to integrate and change as needed!

• > ...so I am now publishing on Itchio, Kongregate and other arcades because I don't feel the Scirra arcade is helping promote our games and has some unresolved server issues with CAPX files and loads get screwed up leaving my games in 404 limbo.

>

While I agree with most of your points I understand why they wouldn't want to implement Ads anyway.

Even if there were ads you would still need to have at least 100 visitors to accidentally click on them to be able to get what? $0.03?

Another way I make money from my games that pays a whole lot more than 3 cents for a 100 clicks.

How To Integrate Youtube Monetized Videos Into Your Games!

Tutorial:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9449/how-to-integrate-youtube-monetized-videos-into-your-games

• lamar

Edited: wow nice tutorial! im intrigued and slowly pushed back into the gaming portal hahaha... for some reason(i guess was fun tweaking at it all day and micromanaging it).

This is my bread and butter.

How To Integrate Youtube Monetized Videos Into Your Games!

Tutorial:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9449/how-to-integrate-youtube-monetized-videos-into-your-games

• Thanks for the tutorials, I will have a look at it.

• but who has time for arcade page? its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

I agree, not a life threatening matter. Of course the main service is really the Construct engine, the Arcade is more of a service on the side. It's not like you can't post straight to Newgrounds or something if you prefer.

I'm staring at the Arcade right now, and I think things may be already improving on their own. At least i'm not seeing any "games" that's just a stolen image of Naruto with some pink square going side-to-side...

• >

> but who has time for arcade page? its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

>

>

I agree, not a life threatening matter. Of course the main service is really the Construct engine, the Arcade is more of a service on the side. It's not like you can't post straight to Newgrounds or something if you prefer.

I'm staring at the Arcade right now, and I think things may be already improving on their own. At least i'm not seeing any "games" that's just a stolen image of Naruto with some pink square going side-to-side...

well that is because the arcade has a rating system, and only the best rated or most views are pushed in front of pages... however if you go around page 15 ... ul find copy pasted naruto images... and some kid screaming saying best game in title. (it also depend on the category... most bad examples are on tutorials... or work in progress stuff that are not further developed and just dumped.)

but yea... arcade has its own..."filtering system" sort off.

• well that is because the arcade has a rating system, and only the best rated or most views are pushed in front of pages... however if you go around page 15 ... ul find copy pasted naruto images... and some kid screaming saying best game in title. (it also depend on the category... most bad examples are on tutorials... or work in progress stuff that are not further developed and just dumped.)

but yea... arcade has its own..."filtering system" sort off.

I have to disagree and the arcade rating system is a joke. Watch the top games list and you will see several games that are always pushed to the top but are not getting new plays. That is people using multiple accounts to rate up their own games and rate down other games.

There are many good games that fall off the front screen almost immediately for that reason and that discourages game developers that see a crap game sitting on the front page forever.

The rating system has to be changed and I suggest only registered members with at least 500 reputation or licensed members can rate games and get the free edition games separated from the licensed edition games and that would solve that problem.

• Watch the top games list and you will see several games that are always pushed to the top but are not getting new plays. That is people using multiple accounts to rate up their own games and rate down other games.

There are many good games that fall off the front screen almost immediately for that reason and that discourages game developers that see a crap game sitting on the front page forever.

The rating system has to be changed and I suggest only registered members with at least 500 reputation or licensed members can rate games and get the free edition games separated from the licensed edition games and that would solve that problem.

I agree with all you said, however, i only stated there is a "filtering system in place" which yes its not perfect, you can make 100 accounts and rate yours 5 stars. but who has time and its sad enough to rate a bad game? only those who have time.

however the 500 rep thing is a good thing to have, but again, that can be also a non-sense in the current state of website, how rep can be farmed by using achievements rewards. there is a bug that lets u gather 10k rep in less then 1 hr. but i wont say it here.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)